Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My seagate personal cloud isn't accessible after upgrading to El Capitan.

I have a seagate personal cloud, which is a 2T stand alone network hard drive. After I upgraded to El Capitan, Finder no longer will read any files or access the hard drive. Anyone has any thoughts?

Mac mini (Late 2014), iOS 8.3

Posted on Oct 10, 2015 6:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2015 10:20 AM

Hello tbbailey,

Thanks for contributing to the Apple Support Communities.

It seems like your Seagate Personal Cloud drive isn't accessible in Finder after upgrading to El Capitan.

From Seagate's resources, it looks like this kind of drive is compatible with El Capitan. See Will my Seagate drive work with Mac 10.11 (El Capitan)?

I also found a section of their support page that lists some troubleshooting steps that may help. Visit Connecting to a Seagate Consumer NAS and look for the section called "If you are unable to find your Seagate Consumer NAS in the Finder window, please follow this procedure."

Best Regards.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 10, 2015 10:20 AM in response to tbbailey

Hello tbbailey,

Thanks for contributing to the Apple Support Communities.

It seems like your Seagate Personal Cloud drive isn't accessible in Finder after upgrading to El Capitan.

From Seagate's resources, it looks like this kind of drive is compatible with El Capitan. See Will my Seagate drive work with Mac 10.11 (El Capitan)?

I also found a section of their support page that lists some troubleshooting steps that may help. Visit Connecting to a Seagate Consumer NAS and look for the section called "If you are unable to find your Seagate Consumer NAS in the Finder window, please follow this procedure."

Best Regards.

Mar 16, 2016 8:19 AM in response to tbbailey

We have just purchased a Seagate Personal Cloud 6TB, hoping to use it to store movies and music. Our set up is that my wife and I have macbook pros, our router is a BT HomeHub5 and the latest Apple TV. I have followed the set up instructions for the Seagate religiously and my mbp steadfastly refuses to see it. The support from Seagate is sheer gobbledegook (I know it isn't for them, but it is for me) and BT say "Talk to the device provider". Seagate told me to open finder, click on 'Go' and open Connect Server, then to input the IP Address using AFP. Where is the IP address and how can I input it.

So, has anyone had the same experience and how did you solve it?

Jun 17, 2016 5:20 PM in response to pft44

Samine problem - I just bought a Seagate Personal Cloud 3T NAS disk for my Macbook Air 11" (2015) OSX El Capitan 10.11.5.

I followed the Seagate quick install but Finder cannot connect. Finder showed a question mark next to "Personal Cloud." Said "Connect Error."

So I read all the discussion above, and installed the Seagate Dashboard http://www.seagate.com/manuals/software/dashboard/introducing-seagate-dashboard/

The Seagate Dashboard takes you through the Seagate install wizard procedure to set up the Personal Cloud Drive. It's very clear and easy.

The Wizard procedure installed TWO firmware updates on the Seagate drive. TWO reboots. Now it works fine for file storage, backup, Time Machine, everything!

My conclusion is that the problem was out of date firmware in the Seagate drive.

My seagate personal cloud isn't accessible after upgrading to El Capitan.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.