Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleted local files - how to go 100% iCloud?

I have taken the plunge and deleted my local files on my macbook (from where I uploaded everything when signing up to Apple Music).

Everything works fine, the songs stream ok. However, I have lots of exclamation marks and iTunes looks for the local file every time, before streaming from the cloud. Consolidate function doesn't work it seems, because it looks for local files rather than cloud files.

Does anyone know how I can tell iTunes to forget there were any local files?

Kind regards,

James

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), iOS 9.0.2, 10.11

Posted on Oct 10, 2015 7:20 AM

2 replies

Oct 10, 2015 7:41 AM in response to James McCue

Hi James,

Look in the upper left corner of the iTunes window at the little Music icon. Does this icon show up-down toggle arrows? If so, you should be choose between "On This Computer" and "James McCue's Library" (or something like that).

As a strictly personal observation, I would always keep a backup of the music library somewhere, rather than relying completely on the cloud. We read a lot of stories here about people losing music in one way or another, and in particular a lot of issues involving iCloud, iTunes Match and/or Apple Music. The total number of people affected may only represent a small percentage of iTunes users, but you don't want to be one of them.

Hope this helps!

Deleted local files - how to go 100% iCloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.