Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my mac keeps freezing

My Mac keeps freezing for no good reason. Only way to fix is to switch off then back on again.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 10, 2015 6:09 AM

2 replies

Oct 10, 2015 11:08 AM in response to Ian Blakeley

First, ensure that you have a current, complete backup. Random freeze-ups can be a symptom of a hardware problem, such as a failing disk drive.

Once you have a good backup of all of your data, then download and post the output of Etrecheck to gather some information on your configuration. Etrecheck deliberately avoids requiring administrative access, and tries to expunge anything sensitive from its reporting, but do review the generated output for anything sensitive or confidential before posting the output here.

If you'd prefer to not do that, then look for any repeating blocks of messages in the console logs — launch Console.app from Applications > Utilities — and try to determine the cause. Note that the console logs normally do have a large number of scary-looking messages and warnings, and that's entirely normal. It's repeating blocks of error messages that you're looking for here. Also remove any add-on tools associated with anti-malware, anti-virus, performance improvements, system cleaners or other such, and reboot without those present and see if the problems persist.

my mac keeps freezing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.