Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Play Head location

I recently upgraded to iMovie10.0.9 from an older version. In the old version I always knew the position of the Play Head. Very important when doing fine editing. In the new version I never know the exact position of the play head within the footage. Is there a preference or some other adjustment that would allow me to know the position of the play head. Many time I return to the footage to add a voice over or title but finding the location within the footage is almost impossible without know the exact location. I'm using OSX Yosemite. Thanks for any help

Posted on Oct 10, 2015 8:16 AM

3 replies

Oct 15, 2015 9:02 AM in response to GeeD

Thanks Geoff:

I appreciate your reply and suggestion. Fortunately Apple apps are intuitive, and I found another work around as well. I discovered the "Mark" capability which not only allows me to find a specific location in the video footage, but I was surprised when it also showed the exact location withing the project just above the mark. With experimenting I found I can delete the mark if necessary.

Mike

Oct 15, 2015 11:35 AM in response to Michael Billings

Very important when doing fine editing.

Agreed.

I have just about all of the versions of iMovie (2 to 10.1). But I usually use iMovie HD 06. With iMovie HD 06 you have exact precise control of the play head. In fact, you can advance frame by frame using the left and right arrow keys. If you hold the shift key down you can move the play head 10 frames at a time. (Use the mouse to move also.)

This allows me to go to the exact frame that I want almost instantly. iMovie HD 06 is easy to get as it goes back to the days when software was sold on disk. You will find iLife 06 readily available on Amazon and eBay. Be advised, it is expensive ($59), people know how good it is.

Play Head location

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.