Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

updating to iOS 9 from iTunes 11.4 then not allowing restore - poor performance from Apple

I can't believe Apple has allowed me to update my phone to iOS 9 using iTunes 11.4, but then won't let me connect the phone to that version of itunes. This is a very poor show from Apple! Does anyone know a work around?

Posted on Oct 10, 2015 6:42 AM

4 replies

Oct 15, 2015 11:26 AM in response to han_solo94

I agree Apple usually puts in warnings but updating a device is different since a device is somewhat stand-alone, particularly with Apple's increased move towards iCloud services. Additionally, some computers can be upgraded to OSX10.8.5 or higher which is required by the newer iTunes, you just need to do that. Those that cannot are officially vintage or obsolete and therefore "unsupported" which means don't expect anything when using such a computer. You can continue to use them (my Mac is 13 years old) but it is 100% on you whenever you do any changes.

Workarounds:

Backup to iCloud

Download purchases directly from the iTunes Store, particularly movies.
Subscribe to iTunes Match or Apple Music to put your other music in iCloud to sync from there.

Use other services such as Dropbox to transfer other files.

Use iPhoto, PhotoStream, or Image Capture to download Camera Roll items.

Oct 15, 2015 11:59 AM in response to Limnos

but see that's what's so frustrating. even though myself and lots of other users are on itunes 11.4, itunes prompted us to update iOS without the knowledge that this would then cripple the connectivity to the iOS device. we shouldn't have been told to update it if was going to make the device incompatible afterwards.

if we would be able to downgrade our devices back to a version which would sync, then this wouldn't be as frustrating as it is now.

Oct 15, 2015 1:31 PM in response to carlovega

Maybe there's two different sets of programmers. There's the update programmers sending the upgrade notice telling any iTunes to look for a device that can be upgraded and if so have it make the request. Then there's notification programmers who get as far as questioning does this specific update affect anything still supported? Answer, "No, it does not, so nobody do anything." OSX 10.6 is no longer supported, so none of you programmers waste any time doing anything for something unsupported. Anybody running 10.6 should already be running 10.8. Anybody who can't run 10.8 is running old hardware which is unsupported. Bottom line rule is nothing is done in for unsupported things.

I am sorry but a whole bunch of older computer owners are learning the reality of old system ownership with this.

Oh, there are various workarounds I might think a really experienced and innovative computer user might try but that kind of user probably didn't let this happen to them in the first place. 🙂

updating to iOS 9 from iTunes 11.4 then not allowing restore - poor performance from Apple

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.