Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot Camp Assistant 6 only showing Windows 7 as an option?

I recently did a fresh install of OSX El Capitan on my Macbook Pro Retina 2012 and wanted to get a dual boot of Windows 10 going. However, when attempting to go through the installation I came across the error:

Boot Camp only supports Windows 7 or later installation on this platform. Please use an ISO file for Windows 7 or later installation.

After doing a bit of research I saw that Bootcamp should be compatible with Windows 10 and shouldn't be displaying Windows 7 as an option in the beginning.

Screenshots:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

I am running the latest version of Bootcamp and have no idea why this is happening. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X El Capitan (10.11), null

Posted on Oct 10, 2015 7:48 AM

1 reply

Oct 10, 2015 10:13 AM in response to BrandonChow

BrandonChow wrote:

I recently did a fresh install of OSX El Capitan on my Macbook Pro Retina 2012 and wanted to get a dual boot of Windows 10 going. However, when attempting to go through the installation I came across the error:

Boot Camp only supports Windows 7 or later installation on this platform. Please use an ISO file for Windows 7 or later installation....

"Boot Camp only supports Windows 7 or later installation on this platform" means that it no longer supports Windows Vista or Windows XP which are earlier versions of Windows. Windows 7 and subsequent versions of Windows are supported. So you should be good to go.

Boot Camp Assistant 6 only showing Windows 7 as an option?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.