Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Bootable device ? Alt - option not work

Hello

I have a Pro retina late 2012 and turned under windows with bootcamp.

After a reboot I got the message more or less classic

No bootable device - insert boot disk and press any key

So I tried to press option nothing happens, starting with cmd + R, cmd + alt + R, Shift nothing works

I tried resetting NVRAM that does not work

I have at startup chime sound mac and then 30/40 seconds after the message

Only the SMC reset seems to work, but so far it does not change

I tried with an external keyboard does not change ca

It was controlled it not took water, the screen works even externally

I reinstalled mac osx from another without problem in usb but I ssd presents the same mistake in the retina.

Or that the intrigues me and that if I start the mac without ssd he does his mac and then the screen goes blank with the backlight turned on but it does not display the message

I do not know what to do anymore

I appeal to you to offer me solutions to test

thank you in advance

Posted on Oct 10, 2015 7:31 AM

48 replies

Oct 10, 2015 7:55 AM in response to Loner T

Osx absolutly not boot, mac is blocked on this error message, osx windows or Usb linux not run

I think i not activated windows update i do not remember

it was a classic reboot on windows

The mac react like if the mac become a windows computer not with efi but bios, i knows i'ts absurbe but it's an images

I'm french sorry for my bad english, The mac was not mine before the error, the man says me he not take water, but i checked personally to be sure and the motherboard is perfect

I will add a youtube video in 10min showing what happen when i boot

Oct 10, 2015 11:12 AM in response to Minitel46

Take out the internal hard drive using https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+15-Inch+Unibody+Mid+2012+Hard+Drive+Rep lacement/10761 and put the external disk that you have OS X installed (if it is a SATA disk) and try to boot from this drive.

Also, if you hold the T key, do you see a screen with a Firewire logo? If the firmware was replaced by something different then Apple firmware, some of your keys do not work.

Oct 10, 2015 11:52 AM in response to Minitel46

Minitel46 wrote:

It's the retina 13 i already boot on the ssd osx installed under with my other mac and it work great but on this one i got the error

Was your OSX SSD connected to the SATA bus?

Do you think it could be an error on the SMC and i will need to "reinstall the firmware" without osx .. ?

Holding T change nothing again

If the original owner replaced the firmware on the Mac, then you will need to put the latest Firmware on it. Can you run Apple Hardware Test on it?

Oct 10, 2015 12:06 PM in response to Minitel46

Minitel46 wrote:

On the other mac i put the ssd inside an usb adaptor and it work, i tryed this adaptor on the retina in usb but not work

This expected. The Apple Bootmanager recognizes the USB as a GPT with OS X to boot from. On the bad Mac there is not such BOotmanager, since you cannot get even Alt to work. You must connect the OS X disk to the internal SATA bus.

The AHT not start, i can't test.

It's like if the mac forgot he is a mac

The firmware is a non-Apple firmware. Unless you connect to the SATA bus, it is unlikely to work. Even with the SATA connection it may or may not work.

No Bootable device ? Alt - option not work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.