Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Add particular song on my computer to a particular existing album on my computer

I have a particular existing "song" on my Desktop, in fact a talk, not a song, but it is an MP3.

I want to add it to a particular existing Album in iTunes. How do I do this?

I'm on 10.9.5 of Mac OS X on a Macbook Pro.

My version of iTunes is 12.3.0.44.

I have been refraining from just using standard Unix or OSX methods of moving

files because I thought this might upset the cataloguing system of iTunes. What would

happen if I just went ahead using standard OSX methods of moving files, and didn't bother

about trying to force iTunes to do something it seems so reluctant to do?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), iTunes 11.0.1 (12)

Posted on Oct 10, 2015 9:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2015 12:03 PM

Hi David,

Your instinct is wise -- generally speaking, it's best to let iTunes manage its own tasks of indexing, file-naming and -organizing, and so forth.

Here's how I would do it:

1. Drag the file into an open iTunes window, or specifically to the upper-left area labeled Library. If iTunes is configured in the normal way (i.e. with the options to "Keep iTunes Media folder organized" and "Copy files to iTunes Media folder..." checked in Preferences > Advanced), this will cause iTunes to add the track to your library database, and place a copy of the file in the folder Music/iTunes/iTunes Media. You can delete the original from your desktop if you wish.

2. The business of making this new track part of an existing album is done via tags within the application itself. The key fields are Artist and Album: if these match the other tracks of the album, the file will be moved (under the hood) into the appropriate folder, and the track will appear in a listing of album contents. For the sake of tidiness, it's a good idea to make sure other fields match as well, e.g. Date.

Exception: If for any reason you don't want the Artist tag to be identical between the new track and the other album contents, you just need to select all the tracks, open the Get Info window, and check the box for "Album is a compilation of songs by various artists."

Hope this is what you needed.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 10, 2015 12:03 PM in response to David Epstein

Hi David,

Your instinct is wise -- generally speaking, it's best to let iTunes manage its own tasks of indexing, file-naming and -organizing, and so forth.

Here's how I would do it:

1. Drag the file into an open iTunes window, or specifically to the upper-left area labeled Library. If iTunes is configured in the normal way (i.e. with the options to "Keep iTunes Media folder organized" and "Copy files to iTunes Media folder..." checked in Preferences > Advanced), this will cause iTunes to add the track to your library database, and place a copy of the file in the folder Music/iTunes/iTunes Media. You can delete the original from your desktop if you wish.

2. The business of making this new track part of an existing album is done via tags within the application itself. The key fields are Artist and Album: if these match the other tracks of the album, the file will be moved (under the hood) into the appropriate folder, and the track will appear in a listing of album contents. For the sake of tidiness, it's a good idea to make sure other fields match as well, e.g. Date.

Exception: If for any reason you don't want the Artist tag to be identical between the new track and the other album contents, you just need to select all the tracks, open the Get Info window, and check the box for "Album is a compilation of songs by various artists."

Hope this is what you needed.

Oct 10, 2015 12:03 PM in response to richard grant

The file was not on my Desktop. It was sitting in the wrong Album in iTunes. In fact, the files I wanted to keep together had been scattered over several albums. I think this happened when I asked iTunes to "consolidate". They are still scattered in iTunes, often each in its own Album. However, my situation is somewhat less desperate than it was, because I have managed, using Unix commands, to locate the files I want to keep together in the same album in iTunes, and have copied them to a single folder in ~/Desktop. So I still need to move them back into iTunes.

The next step was to delete each of these files from the Album containing it in iTunes. I have done that and asked iTunes to put them in the Trash.

The next step, which I don't know how to do, would be to delete any Album that is empty, as a result of deletion of individual songs. I have asked a separate question about this on this forum.

I hadn't realized that "Artist" was such a crucial field in the iTunes database, and I can't understand why the designers of iTunes expected me to know this.

The whole business is complicated by this Unknown Artist and Unknown Album business. If I look at the mess using the Finder, which is the only way I can make sense of what is going on, then I believe there are several Unknown Album s around, all created by iTunes, not by me. Maybe there are several Unknown Artists as well.

It's taken me too many hours to achieve very little. I need to listen to these files for my work. Your answer helps me along a lot.

Could I ask you to respond to my question "Delete album"? Thanks so much.

David

Oct 10, 2015 2:03 PM in response to David Epstein

David,

You obviously know your way around computers, filing systems, and all that, so it might be helpful to outline briefly how iTunes handles media files -- music, videos, podcasts and what-have-you -- so that you don't find yourself working at cross purposes with the application. (All of the following assumes that you haven't changed the basic iTunes settings in Preferences > Advanced, as mentioned above -- which is the course I strongly recommend.)

Basically, iTunes is designed in such a way that you should never have to work directly with files in the Finder. In fact, anything you do in the Finder, especially in the iTunes Media folder, is likely to create confusion in the iTunes database, which is maintained in a document called iTunes Library.itl. Thus, for example, the way to add new music to iTunes is not (as we old-school types might think) to move it into the folder Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music, but to do one of the following:

• Drag the file or files into an open iTunes window

• From within the application, go to File > Add to Library, and navigate to the file(s) or folder to import

• Drag the file(s) to the folder Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Automatically Add to iTunes. As a shortcut for this step, you can place an alias for this folder on your desktop.

What happens next is that iTunes first processes the file, integrating it into the iTunes Library.itl database, and then copies the file into the iTunes Media folder -- often renaming the file in the process. In doing so, it creates a link to the location of the newly imported file, and stores this link in the database.

How is the iTunes Media folder organized, then? This is done first according to media type -- so that music files go into a folder called Music, and so forth -- and then by way of the metadata tags written onto the files themselves, following this file structure:

[Artist]/[Album]/[track# song title.extention]

So the first track of the Grateful Dead's American Beauty album will be filed as something very like:

Music/Grateful Dead/American Beauty/01 Box of Rain.m4a

The exception is for compilation albums by multiple artists. As long as these are tagged correctly, they will be organized like so:

Music/Compilations/[Album]/track# song title.extension

Now a crucial point: Whenever you change one of the tags used by iTunes in organizing your library, your file structure will be changed to match. So for example if you correct a spelling error in the artist's name, or type in a missing album title, the file itself will be updated, moved to a new location, and/or given a new file name accordingly. And the iTunes database file will, of course, also be updated. All this happens "under the hood" and you don't have to think about it, but it's important to keep in mind.

So back to the original topic here: the way to clear up problems in your iTunes library -- in particular the proliferation of "Unknown Artist" or "Unknown Album" entries -- is to fill in all the crucial tags as completely and correctly as you can, within the app itself. iTunes will handle everything else.

There's a way to make this relatively easy. Make your whole library visible by clicking the Music icon in the upper left. Set the view to Songs by using the pull-down menu in the upper right. Now click on one of the column headers -- Name or Artist or Album. This will sort your library by that category, and any tracks with an empty field will be clumped together at the bottom. You can begin picking them off. The simplest way to fill in the empty fields is by way of the Get Info window -- fix one track, then click the Forward arrow to move on to the next.

I hope this is enough to be going on with, and not a case of Too Much Information!

Oct 10, 2015 2:18 PM in response to richard grant

Definitely not too much information. I wish I had known all this a few days ago. I would urge you to make this into a standard information file---hopefully there is a place where such helpful information is stored in these forums. A "Getting Started" file for those who want to understand a little about what iTunes is doing. There should be a warning about not changing things in iTunes, except by using iTunes. I do have a LOT more questions, but I need to get on with my real work, which is now going ahead quite fast after a very frustrating few days. You have been very generous with your help.

Add particular song on my computer to a particular existing album on my computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.