Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Firefox problem, wondering if related to new MBPro somehow

Hi

When I start up Firefox on my brand new MB Pro, OS 10.10.5 (Yosemite), pretty soon the fans start whirring around, firefox might crash and/or my brand new 15" MBPro (OS 10.10.5) will crash and a window will appear saying Due to a problem your MB Pro shut down and will now be restarted.

None of this happens with Safari or my old MBPro.

With Firefox, I tried Refresh, I tried Safe Mode, I unchecked "Use hardware acceleration when available" in prefs, I tried reinstalling Firefox. No go.

Now I'm wondering whether something with the MBP is part of the problem.

Why would a powerful machine like a new MBP get heated up over a browser?

One thing, how can I be sure the most powerful graphics card in being employed, not just with my browser but when editing film with FCPX?

I know this is a bit of a longshot but wanted to ask if maybe someone has an idea.

rkevins

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Oct 10, 2015 8:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2015 5:28 PM

Have you tried running Activity Monitor (in the Utilities folder) to see what is using a lot of CPU capacity? The Process Name(s) may give you a tip as to what's generating enough heat to speed up the fans.

26 replies

Oct 10, 2015 5:52 PM in response to howarduns

Hi Howarduns,

Thanks for the reply!

While it doesn't happen in Safari, yes, I am streaming videos. Usually, it seems like I"ll have 6 or 7 windows open on ESPN, a video going, but not 2 or more simultaneously tho maybe some windows have videos but I've stopped them.

I checked out the FIrefox crash reports, and tho they're from a while ago (Sept), I just deactivated the Shockwave FLash plug-in which caused that crash, I think.

I've had a number of crashes since but it's always my MBP, with things going black then a window popping saying, Due to a problem your computer shut down and will now be restarted. But it might be that shockwave plugin causing it.

elmer

Oct 10, 2015 6:25 PM in response to elmerlang

Hi Elmer.

You could try setting Firefox's cache size to 1 Mb. Preferences / Advanced / Network. It may or may not make a difference. Try emptying the cache too. Check to see if Adobe has an updated version of Shockwave Flash.

I've had Firefox crash occasionally but I don't think that it has ever crashed my MBP.

Is there any pattern to the crashes of your MBP crashes?

Howard

Oct 10, 2015 6:35 PM in response to howarduns

Hi

Thanks again.

The cache was at 345mb, so I made it 1mb. Cleared it, too. We'll see.

The pattern is having multiple windows open, sometimes vid playing sometimes not. Some happen when I've got some ESPN windows open and some NY Post's sports pages open, where there's a ton of advertising, some ads even play a vid.

Btw, what do you think of mackeeper and other apps that supposedly clean the mac?

elmer

Oct 10, 2015 7:56 PM in response to elmerlang

I've never used Mackeeper. I

I use OnyX to delete cache files and run the daily, weekly and monthly Macintosh maintenance scripts. I recently posted a screen snapshots of the OnyX settings that I use at the url below.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7268557?answerId=29068598022#29068598022&ac_cid=sa123456#29068598

I have used OnyX for probably over 7 years. I do this every couple weeks.

I run Disk Utility to check and repair permissions.

I would recommend that you install the Firefox Adblock Plus extension. In Safari, I use the Adblock extension. In Chrome, I use the Adblock Plus extension. In Opera, I use the Adblock Plus extension. I don't get popups in any of these web browsers and very few ads are displayed. When using the Adblock Plus extension, I also click on options and disable the option to allow some non-intrusive advertising.

Howard

Oct 10, 2015 8:52 PM in response to howarduns

Thanks, J. & H.!

Good to hear.

I'll check out Onyx, I also really like that AdBlock extension. ESPN and the Post have video a lot in ads. Less would be another case of more.

But, unfortunately, there's also something deeper, I've had a series of MBPs and I've never had them crash because of a problem that begins with the internet browser.

Enjoy your night.

elmer

Oct 11, 2015 8:47 AM in response to elmerlang

Hi Elmer.

Here is 1 more thing to try if you are comfortable manipulating system files. Delete your Firefox profile and settings.

First backup your Firefox bookmarks.

Click on the bookmarks drop down menu.

Select show all bookmarks.

Click on the star icon.

Select Backup or select Export bookmarks to HTML.

User uploaded file

N.B. Be very careful. Deleting important system files could cause major problems.

Go to the Finder.

Open the user Library.

Hold down the option key on your keyboard. Select the Go drop down menu.

Select Library. This is the library in your user profile.

Navigate to Library / application support / firefox

You may want to back up the crash reports folder.

Delete the firefox folder.

Open your hard drive icon.

Navigate to Library / application support

If you have no other Mozilla apps installed, delete the mozilla folder. If you have other Mozilla apps installed, move the folder to another location on your Mac (outside of the library).

Delete the firefox app.

Reboot your Mac.

Download and install Firefox again.

What did Activity Monitor show to be using a lot of memory or CPU?

Sorry that I missed 1 of your original questions.

"One thing, how can I be sure the most powerful graphics card in being employed, not just with my browser but when editing film with FCPX?"

I have no idea. Check the Final Cut settings. See if you can specify CPU usage within it.

Howard

Oct 11, 2015 9:28 AM in response to elmerlang

So I opened up Safari to compare, doing even more, multiple videos going, pages with lots of ads, vid ads that opened and closed.

Safari the app never got above ~3, some things with it did, but look at a couple screen shots. The second shows jumpaccess (whatever that is) pretty high, and Flash Player but nothing like 220% or 320% with Firefox:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Firefox problem, wondering if related to new MBPro somehow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.