Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Administrator Password on El Capitan. How do I find it or reset it?

I am running OS X El Capitan on my mac. I am trying to install new hardware and the computer is asking me for my administrator password. Since I have the common CRS disease.. .I have managed to forget what it was. Can anyone tell me how to retrieve the password in a few easy steps? Please? 🙂 Thank you in advance.

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 10, 2015 9:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2015 10:44 AM

If the user account is associated with an Apple ID, and you know the Apple ID password, then maybe theApple ID can be used to reset your user account password. In OS X 10.10 and later, this option also works with FileVault, but only if you enabled it when you activated FileVault. It's not retroactive. Otherwise, see below.

Note: If you've activated FileVault, this procedure doesn't apply. Follow instead the instructions on this page, under the heading "If you forget your password."

Start up in Recovery mode. When the OS X Utilities window appears, select

Utilities Terminal

from the menu bar at the top of the screen—not from any of the items in the OS X Utilities window.

In the window that opens, type this:

resetp

Press the tab key. The partial command you typed will automatically be completed to this:

resetpassword

Press return. A Reset Password window opens. Close the Terminal window to get it out of the way.

Select the startup volume ("Macintosh HD," unless you gave it a different name) if not already selected. You won't be able to do this if FileVault is active.

Select your username from the menu labeled Select the user account if not already selected.

Follow the prompts to reset the password. It's safest to choose a password that includes only the characters a-z, A-Z, and 0-9.

Select

Restart

from the menu bar.

You should now be able to log in with the new password, but the Keychain will be reset (empty.) If you've forgotten the Keychain password (which is ordinarily the same as the login password), there's no way to recover it.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 10, 2015 10:44 AM in response to iscnews

If the user account is associated with an Apple ID, and you know the Apple ID password, then maybe theApple ID can be used to reset your user account password. In OS X 10.10 and later, this option also works with FileVault, but only if you enabled it when you activated FileVault. It's not retroactive. Otherwise, see below.

Note: If you've activated FileVault, this procedure doesn't apply. Follow instead the instructions on this page, under the heading "If you forget your password."

Start up in Recovery mode. When the OS X Utilities window appears, select

Utilities Terminal

from the menu bar at the top of the screen—not from any of the items in the OS X Utilities window.

In the window that opens, type this:

resetp

Press the tab key. The partial command you typed will automatically be completed to this:

resetpassword

Press return. A Reset Password window opens. Close the Terminal window to get it out of the way.

Select the startup volume ("Macintosh HD," unless you gave it a different name) if not already selected. You won't be able to do this if FileVault is active.

Select your username from the menu labeled Select the user account if not already selected.

Follow the prompts to reset the password. It's safest to choose a password that includes only the characters a-z, A-Z, and 0-9.

Select

Restart

from the menu bar.

You should now be able to log in with the new password, but the Keychain will be reset (empty.) If you've forgotten the Keychain password (which is ordinarily the same as the login password), there's no way to recover it.

Oct 10, 2015 12:24 PM in response to iscnews

iscnews wrote:

I have managed to forget what it was. Can anyone tell me how to retrieve the password in a few easy steps? Please? 🙂 Thank you in advance.

CLICKY CLICK---> https://support.apple.com/kb/PH21765

=================

When selecting passwords, make sure it's one that you will NEVER forget AND no one else can figure out.

Old school--- > Print it out & keep in a safe place. A place that ONLY you know about AND never forget.😉 Also helpful when you cannot get pass the log-in screen. 😉

New school---> Get a password manager utility. Highly recommend 1Password which is shareware. Another good password manager utility is Dashlane. Best of all, it's FREE!

Do a Google search for free password managers.

User uploaded file

Nov 30, 2016 6:49 AM in response to iscnews

Go to users and groups , make sure allow user to administer this computer box is to be checked and uncheck allow user to reset password using Apple ID .

How to reset the admin password , if one has forgotten it .

Close all applications & shut down the computer , can plug in the charger .

Press command + R + power key simultaneously , don't release the keys until apple logo appears , the bar will load slowly , let it be completed after a while you will enter in recovery mode .if you have enabled firmware password , turn it off while in recovery mode itself .

Take your cursor on top menu bar & click on utilities > open terminal from here & type resetpassword the word is single & no space , all alphabets are small .Click on enter & close the terminal window .

On the screen you will see user name of the account , just select it ( press forcefully on it to get selected ) > click on next on bottom side .

A rectangular bar appears > enter your new password carefully and again go to top menu bar you will see apple logo > click on restart .

This is the way , and write down the password in safe place .

Administrator Password on El Capitan. How do I find it or reset it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.