Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Oncoming Apple TV and Home Theatre

I was astonished at reading the new version of the AppleTV shall ominously drop the fiber channel output, just retaining a single HDMI one, like everyone were to listen to their music or films on the tv loudspeakers. What in fact does anyone valuing sound as much as images i to handle two different channels for sound and video: video going to the the tv, and audio going to the 5+1 Amplifier, in my case a Bose one with bass and 5 more elements.

If I were to purchase the new AppleTV I would lose access to the Bose system, let I purchase some expensive tool able to extract a fiber channel output from the HDMI, assuming it exists. Another element of course crowding the back of my HomeTheatre console and needing one more power outlet.

I was ok to drop the RGB output in the current version, I purchased a converter to feed my venerable Sony Plasma missing an hdmi, and it was ok, as I was the strange man. But I do not think I am again a funny man when I say that is better to have the sound on a specific 5+1 amlifie than on the lousy TV loudspeakers.

This time I lost Apple, and unfortunately will not be able to upgrade until they recover their sanity of mind.

Apple TV, Other OS

Posted on Oct 10, 2015 9:22 AM

7 replies

Oct 10, 2015 2:09 PM in response to Fabrizio Bartolomuci

I understand that there will be situations like this where people want to use the audio output but HDMI is the de-facto standard now for video and audio and Apple probably realized that very few people ever used that port so they decided to drop it. Until recently my 5.1 receiver predated HDMI so I was running the Apple TV HDMI signal to my TV and connecting the optical audio output to my receiver. This was sub optimal and many times I ended up having audio sync issues between the TV image and the receiver surround audio.

I finally upgraded my receiver to an HDMI capable model and no longer need to use the Apple TV audio output. If this is not possible for you maybe there is a low cost 3rd party HDMI interface that would be able to send audio to your Bose system? I know its a hassle but as new interfaces become standard the old ones fall out of favour. Its the cost of progress I suppose.

Oncoming Apple TV and Home Theatre

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.