Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I bought an iPhone 5 from the Apple store a few months ago, with the understanding that it was unlocked and not bound to any one carrier. I have moved internationally, and this iPhone will not activate with my new SIM card - what happened?

Hi,

I bought the phone in Canada, inserted my Rogers SIM card and it worked fine. I recently moved to Europe, inserted my new SIM card, and it will not work. The carrier here told me that I should contact Apple and have them unlock it, but the Apple site mentions that this is something only carriers can do. However, I did not buy this phone from a carrier. Why is my phone locked to Rogers? What can I do to fix this?

Thank you!

iPhone 5

Posted on Oct 10, 2015 8:06 AM

16 replies

Oct 10, 2015 8:11 AM in response to charliec245

What do you mean it will not work in Europe? There can be several reasons for this. When you insert the European SIM card, what happens? As far as an unlock, should the device be locked to Rogers, then you would need to contact Rogers about the unlock, because Apple does not unlock phones, only the carrier can authorize the unlock, so the carrier you spoke to was incorrect with that. However, since you supposedly purchased an unlocked phone, that should not be the case. If you purchased an unlocked device in Canada from Apple, then you should contact Apple to question them about it being locked and if it is actually locked to Rogers.

What you see on the screen when you insert the European SIM will determine if the phone is locked or there is another reason it is not working, since you do not indicate what it is that you mean when you say not working.

Oct 10, 2015 8:20 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Hi, thanks for responding!

The phone itself works in Europe (with my Rogers sim card), but when I insert the new sim card from the European carrier a small banner saying "Activation Required" appears, and when I unlock the phone a larger notification saying "SIM Not Valid" does, which also says that the card I inserted is "not supported under that activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server", telling me to speak to my carrier about unlocking the iPhone, or insert a supported SIM card.

I don't understand how my phone could be locked to Rogers - is this standard that the unlocked phone locks to a carrier after you choose one?

Oct 10, 2015 8:28 AM in response to Phil0124

Thanks for replying!

This is what I mean by "not working" (copy and pasted from my other reply.)

The phone itself works in Europe (with my Rogers sim card), but when I insert the new sim card from the European carrier a small banner saying "Activation Required" appears, and when I unlock the phone a larger notification saying "SIM Not Valid" does, which also says that the card I inserted is "not supported under that activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server", telling me to speak to my carrier about unlocking the iPhone, or insert a supported SIM card.

It's a small sim card - it fits in the tray on my iPhone, and it is identical to my Rogers one. I tried it in another unlocked iPhone and it worked perfectly. The issue appears to be with my device.

Oct 10, 2015 8:30 AM in response to charliec245

It is not a standard, but a lot depends on the purchase of the phone. As you said you purchased what you thought was an unlocked phone directly from Apple, that is where the research needs to start. If you purchased the phone at the Apple store and told them you were going to use it at Rogers, they may have sold you a Rogers phone. If you contact Apple Support, they can tell you who the device is locked to, if it is locked. As I stated earlier, only the carrier the device is locked to can authorize the unlock. Rogers should also be able to verify if the device is locked to their network. Did you ever have the phone serviced and/or replaced?

Oct 10, 2015 8:36 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Interesting. I have not had it repaired, but it was a replacement for a broken iPhone 5 that was locked to Rogers - I chose to buy it through Apple and was pretty clear about wanting an unlocked one though.

Is there a toll free support number for apple? I do not have Apple Care, and the prospect of spending 30 euros for them to potentially tell me bad news isn't super appealing.

Oct 10, 2015 8:36 AM in response to charliec245

Well, the number for Apple Support is toll free, but if you are outside of warranty, they usually require the payment. You can ask when you call saying that it has to do with an incorrectly locked phone, but I cannot guarantee it will work. Are you near an Apple Store? If so, make a Genius Bar appointment if you have time to talk to someone there.

Oct 10, 2015 8:47 AM in response to charliec245

Yes, those error messages indicate the iPhone is locked.

Why its locked is something of a mystery.

If the iPhone is locked, then it either happened on purchase, or you got a replacement at some point that was locked.

Otherwise, have you tried it with a different Sim Card? That particular sim may be faulty.

However you bought the iPhone is where you need to start. If this was bought directly from Apple in an Apple store, or the Online apple Store, it should have been unlocked. And you would need to talk to Apple to sort it out. If it was bought at a Rogers Store, then it was most likely locked, but would have the option of unlocking through them.

https://www.rogers.com/web/support/wireless/unlock/733?setLanguage=en

You will need to contact Rogers to get it unlocked if that was the case.

Oct 10, 2015 8:44 AM in response to Phil0124

It was bought from Apple, I guess I'll need to talk to them. I do not have Apple Care though, and there are no Apple stores here - am I really going to have to spend 30 euros to address an issue that appears to be on their end? I was hoping to request an exception to the fee, but I do not fit into either of the options. Are there are any ways to contact Apple about an issue like this without paying more money?

I bought an iPhone 5 from the Apple store a few months ago, with the understanding that it was unlocked and not bound to any one carrier. I have moved internationally, and this iPhone will not activate with my new SIM card - what happened?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.