Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems when I change the source of a song from Apple Music library to my music library

APP: iTunes 12.2.2.25

I added some songs and albums to my iCloud Music Library and then I downloaded it to my computer for offline listening. A few weeks later I bought a CD of an album that I already had in my iTunes library. I did not want to lose all the data of the these songs such as plays, date added and ratings so I did the following steps:

1. I opened the folder where the Apple Music songs were stored and I deleted the ones that I had purchased previously

2. I played the songs in iTunes and then I got this error message: The song "....." could not be used because the original file could not be found. Would you like to locate it?

3. I located the files that I ripped from my CD (personal use only!!!)

I thought nothing bad could happen with my songs. I was wrong.

My Apple Music subscription had ended so all of my Apple Music songs got deleted. ALL OF THEM! My ripped album got deleted too. iTunes did not care that the source of the songs were not even protected by DRM. Briefly, it deleted what was mine.

Is there any way to solve this issue?

Windows 7

Posted on Oct 10, 2015 8:40 AM

3 replies

Problems when I change the source of a song from Apple Music library to my music library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.