Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

* OS X El Capitan clean install

Are MacBook owners allowed clean install El Capitan on a new or erased drive?

MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Oct 10, 2015 9:07 AM

3 replies

Oct 11, 2015 5:34 AM in response to sberman

Hi sberman

Thank you very much for replying to my post regarding a 'clean install of El Capitan.

I created a post about this topic last night and when I tried to submit it, I got a message saying "you are not allowed to create of update this content" so, I don't know what was going on there but, I'll add a bit more content now that I've been able to submit my question and get a reply.

My MB came pre-installed with OS X Yosemite and I successfully installed Windows 10 in a Bootcamp setup but, because the later upgrade messed up my Windows 10 Bootcamp partition and also caused another issue when I tried to used the same powered USB-C hub which failed to be detected by El Capitan, I was asking if I could clean install El Capitan on my 12" MacBook and, if so, would all of the 'apps' and 'utilities' that came pre-installed with my new MacBook, be re-installed back onto my MB drive?

Oct 11, 2015 11:57 AM in response to Brave01Heart

Will all your pre-installed apps and utilities be re-installed? I have no idea what these apps and utilities might be.

Many apps come along with the operating system, such as Preview, Notes, Photos. You may have other Apple applications on your machine such as Pages, Numbers. These are not part of the operating system so they would not appear after a fresh install. However, you could download them (on request) from the App Store.

You may have other apps and/or utilities I don't know about. Of course, you can restore them from a backup.

* OS X El Capitan clean install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.