Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto not available with OS X El Capitan

Hello, I am primarily using my MacBook (MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2014) because of iPhoto - I really love the way the pics from my and and wife's iPhones and our camera are being smartly grouped and organised: in a very tidy and nice way. For comparison - I can't stand the Photos app - it is nothing but a massive mess.

And there my problem goes. Since we installed the new OS X El Capitan Version 10.11 (15A284), iPhoto is no longer available. It stays on my Updates list (version 9.6.1) and each time I try to run the update, it says "This item is temporarily unavailable. Try again later." All our pictures were very well organised in iPhoto, and now what we can see in Photos is a mess - they appear not in the right order, we can still see some that were long time deleted, there are no (or at least not easy and intuitive) features like location, quick edit, etc.

My question: please help - I want iPhoto back to my Mac! Is it a general issue, or is it just me who is having troubles? How can I get this resolved?

Thanks.

MacBook Air, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 10, 2015 9:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2015 9:49 AM

You have iPhoto but it must be current version 9.6.1 - if you do not keep your system up to date see Can't Update iPhoto because it is not available in the App Store and note that iPhoto 9.6.1 is back in the the app store so the hint should work

LN

12 replies

Oct 10, 2015 9:54 PM in response to Csound1

Thank you. I will try that again. One other question if I may...the last couple of times I do an OS update, it changes the default program to use for managing pictures to Photos instead of iPhoto. So, even if I get iPhoto working again with the update workaround, how do I get the OS to use iPhoto instead of Photo? In other words, how do you set iPhoto as the default picture application instead of Photo? Thanks again!

iPhoto not available with OS X El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.