Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After Time Machine restore, mail folders are missing

After getting a new, replacement hard drive with a fresh install of Mavericks, I restored from my Time Machine backup, but Mail tells me that all of the "On My Mac" folders are empty. Following the "Solved" advice of a related post, from the Finder I went to ~/Library/Mail/V2, and there where the folders, and they were populated! Regardless, following the advice, I entered Time Machine and restored to these folders, but nothing changed: Mail still shows these folders are empty.

Can anyone help?

MacBook Pro (17-inch Early 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Oct 10, 2015 12:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2015 8:56 AM

Try re-indexing the mailboxes. This can take awhile if you have a lot of mail.

Reindex messages

5 replies

Oct 11, 2015 9:14 AM in response to Eric Root

This was just one of several issues following a Time Machine backup. Wondering if Apple could do better in the restore process. For example, I've had the following issues:

• this mail folder issue (thanx for the tip; worked perfectly despite that I'm using Mavericks)
  • my printer driver didn't restore—had to search online for the driver for Canon PIXMA MP460 driver, which was non-trivial
  • had to find and reenter my Microsoft Office "Product Key"
  • Google Drive can't find the folder that's in plain site
  • iPhoto had to rebuild all (?) thumbnail images

I expect to find more issues going forward.

Thanx again, for the help. Saves me a trip to the Genius Bar.

—Ken

Oct 11, 2015 7:29 PM in response to Ken Nellis

Ken Nellis wrote:

This was just one of several issues following a Time Machine backup. Wondering if Apple could do better in the restore process. For example, I've had the following issues:

• this mail folder issue (thanx for the tip; worked perfectly despite that I'm using Mavericks)
  • my printer driver didn't restore—had to search online for the driver for Canon PIXMA MP460 driver, which was non-trivial
  • had to find and reenter my Microsoft Office "Product Key"
  • Google Drive can't find the folder that's in plain site
  • iPhoto had to rebuild all (?) thumbnail images

I expect to find more issues going forward.

Thanx again, for the help. Saves me a trip to the Genius Bar.

—Ken

Glad you have things working again. Replacing a hard drive can be disruptive.

Did you run Setup Assistant? Or Migration Assistant? Or use some other method to restore from your backup? For the OS you are using, Setup Assistant works a bit more smoothly than Migration Assistant in avoiding some of these "bumps" that you encountered.

The Mail folders and printer drivers should have come over from the restore, but how smoothly this happens can depend on the the way the restore is carried out in conjunction with the installation of the new OS.

The Microsoft product keys are used by in combination with the hardware identifier on your hard drive. So replacing the hard drive requires reentering the keys. This is Microsoft's doing, not Apple's.

For Google Drive, others have had this issue when replacing their drive hardware. See this link in Google:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/drive/mgrNrW2MhCY

This appears to be due to something Google does, as opposed to Apple. But it's fixable.

The iPhoto library restore should have been uncomplicated also, but if you had a new version of iPhoto on your new hard drive, this sometimes requires a "conversion" for the library.

Oct 12, 2015 4:54 PM in response to steve626

Did you run Setup Assistant? Or Migration Assistant? Or use some other method to restore from your backup? For the OS you are using, Setup Assistant works a bit more smoothly than Migration Assistant in avoiding some of these "bumps" that you encountered.

I didn't specify either. I just had my backup drive attached when I booted up. It asked me some questions (preferred language, keyboard, wifi) and then recognized my Time Machine backup and asked me which version to restore, and it did the rest. I have no idea if Setup Assistant or Migration Assistant was involved.

For Google Drive, others have had this issue when replacing their drive hardware. See this link in Google:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/drive/mgrNrW2MhCY

Thanx for the link. I'll check it out.

After Time Machine restore, mail folders are missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.