Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2,4 / 5Ghz Wi-fi Time Capsule

Hi guys, i need help with my Time Capsule. First of all, sorry for my english.

I configure the Time Capsule with 2,4Ghz and 5Ghz wi-fi. Its working pretty nice, but i have 2 SSID: "APC 2,4GHZ" and "APC 5GHZ".

Probably there is something wrong on my Time Capsule settings because I can connect all my devices (old or new) in 2,4 or 5ghz WI-Fi.

I think it's better connecting to a single network and the Time Capsule will detects the wireless technology that uses the device to choose 2,4 or 5ghz WI-Fi

Is it ok my setting?

Thanks you very much!

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.4

Posted on Oct 10, 2015 9:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2015 12:09 AM

Do not name the 5ghz .. It is not necessary to name it.

Here I use it named.. and it is ticked.. that means i have two different SSID.. which by the way is the best way (IMHO) to run things. I will explain why below.

User uploaded file

If you do not wish to have a separate name.. Do not check this.

So you have the main wireless page filled like this.

User uploaded file

Use a short wireless name.. eg TCwifi (no spaces and pure alphanumerics).

The 5ghz will be active and clients will join 5ghz or 2.4ghz depending on signal level.

Here is the catch.

Only 5ghz provides high speed wireless.. 2.4ghz in apple systems can go no faster than 217Mbps link speed on a good day.. mostly 130Mbps.

The client will connect to the best signal.. If you move one room away from the TC.. the signal from 5ghz will fall dramatically but will still work faster than 2.4ghz.. usually much faster.. but the client will use 2.4ghz because it links to best signal.. NEVER best speed.

This is My Opinion and others around here strongly believe in Apple doing its automagical voodoo stuff.. and that works for most people albeit slowly.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 11, 2015 12:09 AM in response to caruizj

Do not name the 5ghz .. It is not necessary to name it.

Here I use it named.. and it is ticked.. that means i have two different SSID.. which by the way is the best way (IMHO) to run things. I will explain why below.

User uploaded file

If you do not wish to have a separate name.. Do not check this.

So you have the main wireless page filled like this.

User uploaded file

Use a short wireless name.. eg TCwifi (no spaces and pure alphanumerics).

The 5ghz will be active and clients will join 5ghz or 2.4ghz depending on signal level.

Here is the catch.

Only 5ghz provides high speed wireless.. 2.4ghz in apple systems can go no faster than 217Mbps link speed on a good day.. mostly 130Mbps.

The client will connect to the best signal.. If you move one room away from the TC.. the signal from 5ghz will fall dramatically but will still work faster than 2.4ghz.. usually much faster.. but the client will use 2.4ghz because it links to best signal.. NEVER best speed.

This is My Opinion and others around here strongly believe in Apple doing its automagical voodoo stuff.. and that works for most people albeit slowly.

2,4 / 5Ghz Wi-fi Time Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.