Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Notes app

What is this new folder I have discovered in my Notes app titled Local Folder? I've lost all of my notes on my IPad, and on my IPhone they are all in this new folder called Local. I am so confused. PLEASE HELP!!

iPad Air Wi-Fi, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 10, 2015 11:47 AM

9 replies

Oct 10, 2015 11:53 AM in response to tolonda

This identifies Notes on the actual device. This is done since there is now syncing of Apps via iCloud, since you can no longer sync Notes via iTunes. You can still sync Notes via email accounts, but this is where the Notes are on the actual device. I've found I can no longer sync my Notes from Outlook on my Windows computer. I don't really like that.

Oct 10, 2015 1:15 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

in my notes app was a couple of email addresses. So to answer your question, I guess I was syncing to email. I wasn't syncing to a computer. I did see an "On my IPad " tab on there but omg, not sure where And wasn't sure what it would do. I apparently inadvertently did turn ICloud on because it is showing me logged into it. And notes tab is on. If I turn it off, I get a message saying "all iCloud noes will be deleted from my iPad. But there isn't any notes in it so that's no big deal to me UNLESS turning it off will also delete the ones on my IPhone too. That's why I've been reluctant to turn it off. I was/am afraid it will affect both devices.

Oct 10, 2015 1:24 PM in response to tolonda

Turning off iCloud sync would remove Notes that are in the Cloud, but not on the device, is that is where they were stored. What happens if you go to the folder On My iPad. Are there notes there? If you go to Settings>Notes, what do you see. If you go to Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendars, and go to your email accounts, do any of them have Notes turned on?

Oct 10, 2015 1:57 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

TThe email addresses did have notes turned on but I have turned them off since I found the "on my iPad" button and can use that for my notes instead of email accounts. But thing is, I don't want to use iCloud. I somehow did that totally unaware of what I was doing. I turned the notes button off in iCloud, so now I'm good there. But I'm thinking that these messages that are showing up on my IPHONE UNDER "NEW FOLDER" are the lost Notes from my iPad. Although ICLOUD does NOT have the NOTES button on on my IPHONE. IF they are my lost notes, I don't know how to get them back onto my IPAD. IF THEY ARE NOT MY LOST NOTES FROM MY IPAD, I don't know where those are and how to get them back. But no, I don't want to use the iCloud. That was an accident. I'm an airhead at 1:00 am and have no business doing stuff like this at that time of the night

Oct 10, 2015 4:40 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

IF I go to settings>notes I see default account set for Siri and that's set for Yahoo. Then I see new notes start with> Body. Then "On my IPad" account is turned on but it's greyed out where I cant change it. That's weird.

NOne of of my email accounts have notes turned on accept the cloud. And as I said earlier, I get a message that if I turn it off they will be deleted. So you're saying it would be safe to turn that off, and I wouldn't lose any messages on either device, right?

Oct 10, 2015 4:52 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

TThe reply to this post is at the bottom. I got distracted. I just noticed that the only thing that's turned on in my cloud is safari. So I should be ok signing out of iCloud right? I'm still concerned as to what that "New Folder" is on my iPhone that does have all of its messages in it. I don't wanna sign out of iCloud and then lose those messages. I dint know if being signed into iCloud on one device effects both of them or not.

Notes app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.