Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My imac goes to a black screen

ok so i started up my imac and it wouldnt show the top bar where the time and all of that is, and most of my apps wont even show up at the bottom. So i tried to click a app and it would freeze and show a black screen. I restarted, did the same thing. Took the wire out if the back, did the same thing. I tried resetting the NvRam, did the same thing. Now im at the point where im going to reinstall osx by holding down the command and r button and i tried to do that but i need more space in my startup disk and i cant make space because i cant work on my computer it keeps freezing then black screen. Please somebody help! Thank you in advance.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Oct 10, 2015 11:57 AM

1 reply

Oct 10, 2015 12:00 PM in response to KhaKhaTv

Install or Reinstall OS X from Scratch

Be sure you backup your files to an external drive or second internal drive because the following procedure will remove everything from the hard drive.

Boot to the Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears.

Erase the hard drive:

1. Select Disk Utility from the main menu and click on the Continue button.

2. After DU loads select your startup volume (usually Macintosh HD) from the

left side list. Click on the Erase tab in the DU main window.

3. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Optionally, click on

the Security button and set the Zero Data option to one-pass. Click on

the Erase button and wait until the process has completed.

4. Quit DU and return to the main menu.

Reinstall OS X: Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Install button.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible

because it is three times faster than wireless.

This should install the version of OS X that you had installed.

My imac goes to a black screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.