Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stream Audio/Video over Airplay, separately

Hi TWIMC,

Is it possible to stream just the video over airplay to the TV while streaming the audio to multiple airplay enabled speakers i.e. a 'virtual' surround sound, like a subwoofer, soundbar, two front speakers, two back speakers, speaker in every bed/bathroom?

The idea that I have is to be able to stream an mp4 file from my NAS to my iPad, push the 'video' over via AppleTV to the TV but push the 'audio' over Airplay to multiple speakers, is this at all possible, yet?

TIA

mccakev

iPad 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 10, 2015 12:19 PM

5 replies

Oct 10, 2015 12:29 PM in response to mccakev

Just a second thought, in iTunes on the PC the AirPlay symbol show that I'm able to select either 'single/multiple' so if I select 'multiple# would this imply that if I were to push say the same mp4 file to both an AppleTV and an enabled AirPlay speaker, the AppleTV would take both the Video and Audio and know what to do with, and the AirPlay enabled speaker would also know that it can only handle the Audio part being sent and just plays the Audio as expected?

Oct 12, 2015 5:21 AM in response to mccakev

I have the same question. I have a projector also a TV airplaying over AppleTV, so I like to see videoclip on it and i want to AirPlay audio on 2 or more different sound system.

iTunes doesn't play videos in multiple AirPlay. AppleTV airplay audio just to 1 system at once.

APP like whaale or airfoil AirPlay multiple speakers, but just audio.

How can I airplay over AppleTV my videos on TV or a projector and at same time AirPlay the audio to a 2 or more different Wifi sound system?

Oct 12, 2015 1:03 PM in response to Winston Churchill

Then perhaps we all look at this from the angle, i.e. that we don't necessarily need to split the video and audio parts of an mp4/avi file to different devices, we just need to be able to send the same mp4/avi file to multiple AirPlay enabled devices and let the receiving device recognise what it can and can't do with it, i.e. the Apple TV would recognise it can do both, play video and audio, the stand alone speakers would just play the audio, I just hope all AirPlay enabled devices would all be synchronised with the video being displayed, so no doubt some kind of offset functionality would be needed.

I would assume that at this moment in time, no such product/software functionality actually exists .... so anyone out there needing a product to sell/market, be my guest and go knock yourself out at the being the first, you'd have one satisfied customer here already.

TIA, mccakev

Stream Audio/Video over Airplay, separately

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.