Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I use my external hard drive with iTunes so that my music is not stored on my mac but visible when I open iTunes?

I was previously a PC user and stored all my music on an external hard drive. When I opened iTunes on the PC my entire library was visible from the hard drive but on my mac it wants to transfer it all to the local drive which isn't big enough. Can I set iTunes up on the mac the same way as I had it on the PC?

MacBook Air

Posted on Oct 10, 2015 12:02 PM

2 replies

Oct 10, 2015 12:10 PM in response to Buptaboy

Yes. Connect the external drive to your Mac. Press and hold down the OPTION button while opening iTunes. From the dialog locate the iTunes library on the external drive then click on the Open/OK button. Once you verify you are connected to your iTunes library open iTunes preferences and click on Advanced in the toolbar. At the top be sure you have the path to your library set. Quit iTunes and re-open it normally. See if it finds your external library.

Note that you must have the external drive connected before ever opening iTunes. It must remain connected while in use.

Oct 10, 2015 2:36 PM in response to Buptaboy

You say you have music stored on the external drive. This implies you do not have the rest of the files and folders used to generate an iTunes library on the external too. If they are missing there is no "library" to open and setting preferences will not add media to a library, only tell iTunes to store any new additions in that location.

So, what exactly do you have on the external?

How do I use my external hard drive with iTunes so that my music is not stored on my mac but visible when I open iTunes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.