Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

White screen after apple logo, iMac doesnt start and cmd+r doesn't work

So a few days ago I updated my Mid 2011 27" imac to OSX El Capitan.

Everything was going faster and fine. But today I was playing a game (League of legends) and was watching a video and a stream in Google Chrome in the background. Suddenly the screen went white with a couple of gray bars and with a ticking sound just as if it freezed or something.

I turned the imac off holding the power button and when I restarted it after the apple logo it went to a white screen and after a few seconds it just restarted. Right know It's still doing the same thing over and over again.
I tried to run the Safe Mode but it just stays in a white screen after the apple logo.

CMD + R doesn't work, it ignores it and just jumps into the apple logo. Pressing "Alt" to show the disks works, It shows the Macintosh HD and a Recovery 10.11. I dont know what to do, I dont have a installation Disk for the OS.

Thanks in advance for the help

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 10, 2015 12:20 PM

1 reply

Oct 10, 2015 12:30 PM in response to Lekii

with a ticking sound

CLICKY CLICK---> Using Apple Hardware Test - Apple Support

Failing Hard Drive Sounds

How to Tell When Your Hard Drive is Going to Fail

Be prepared for hard-drive failure

I dont have a installation Disk for the OS.

You can get replacement System Install & Restore CD/DVDs from Apple's Customer Support - in the US, (800) 767-2775 - for a nominal S&H fee. You'll need to have the model and/or serial number of your Mac available.

If you're not in the US, you may need to go through the regional Apple Store that serves your location to find the contact number. Here's a list of links to all of those - http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/intlstoreroutingpage.html Another resource: International Support Phone #s.

User uploaded file

White screen after apple logo, iMac doesnt start and cmd+r doesn't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.