Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restore Time Machine from Back Up - WDMyCloud not mounting

Hello-

I spilled a glass of water on my 2013 MacBook Pro. I finally got it to turn on and have booted up using CMD-R. I selected the 'Restore From Time Machine Backup' from the OS X Utilities dialog box. From the 'Select a Backup Source' screen, I selected "TimeMachineBackup" on network "WDMyCloud-2". It prompts me for a name and password:

"Enter your name and password for the server "WDMyCloud-2.local." so that Time Machine can access it". Is this my computer name and password? That seems to be the only one that works. The computer churns for a minutes, then displays this warning: "There was a problem connecting to the server "WDMyCloud-2.local.; check the server name or IP address, and try again". Does this mean I enetered the wrong name/password or is it having difficulty finding the WDMyCloud?

I hooked up my 10-year macBook and was able to mount the WDMyCloud volume no problem (both wirelessly and wired to the network), with no passwords, and I could search the TimeMachine backup folder to find the latest backup.

I have tried hooking up the macBook Pro both wirelessly or wired I get the same error. The wired connection is using an ethernet cable from my router to a Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adaptor.

What am I missing. The only other thought is that the ports are fried.

Todd.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014), iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 10, 2015 1:08 PM

1 reply

Restore Time Machine from Back Up - WDMyCloud not mounting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.