Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trouble with email connections.

So I have two web based mail accounts, outlook.com which I access using thunderbird, and gmail which I access using mail. Both are having intermittant connection issues. At the request of my ISP I have bypassed WiFi and gone hard wire to modem, in fact I have now tried two modems, both are having the same problem.

I used the Mail assistant tool, but it just recommended settings that were already OK. Sites ping OK, web access to both is OK but they don't connect with my mail apps, I get this "The server “smtp.gmail.com” cannot be contacted on port 587"? Well now I see that the mail I wanted to send has in fact gone, as I said this is intermittent. My Imac is running OS X v10.9.5 any suggestions?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Oct 10, 2015 1:31 PM

2 replies

Oct 11, 2015 3:55 PM in response to Danny Callaway

So the problem did originate with my ISP. I didn't push hard enough but somebody else did and the problem is fixed. I think somebody there didn't want to do any work (or didn't know what they were doing) and wanted to put problem back on me.

Actually, I will take this as a lesson learned and make sure I get better and more responsive help from my ISP; after all I am paying there bills...

Trouble with email connections.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.