Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

change primary iCloud account

I am using an iMac pro, OSX 10.9.5. I HAD 2 iCloud account, and wanted to change the secondary account to the primary account. My email was available to my primary account, but not to the secondary account. I thought found the answer on the support forum, and it seemed simple enough--for most people. It appears that on my system preferences, I went to "Internet Accounts" instead of "iCloud", to sign out, and deleted the secondary account (which is the one I wanted to change to primary) instead . Now I have one account, and don't have "MAIL' on it.

This all came about as a result of having to change internet providers, and had nearly 2 weeks frustration. I am a senior, and do have a problem understanding the technology. Can I get back the account I may have deleted. I don't want ANOTHER email address, and have to notify contacts, as I have already done that once.

Any suggestions or help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Doug

eSword for Mac-OTHER, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), eSword for Mac

Posted on Oct 10, 2015 3:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2015 12:15 PM

You haven't deleted the account, you have merely signed out of it on that particular device, you can sign back in at any time. If you want o sign back in as the primary account at system preferences > iCloud, sign out of the other account first.

13 replies

Oct 12, 2015 10:27 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Yes, it helps. In system preferences>iCloud, it does only show one account, but I cannot checkl the box for email.

When I go to system preferences>internet accounts, but no iCloud accounts are listed.

In system preferences>iCloud, most of the boxes that I want are checked, except email. When I check "email", It requires me to choose an email address that I cannot change, from a list. from a list provided. It also give me the option to 'sign out'. I'm Afraid to 'sign out' in case I lose this account too.

Oct 13, 2015 12:13 AM in response to dougg8717

What you need to do is sign out of that account at system preferences > iCloud and then sign back in with the other ID. If you still wanted access to the account that is on your Mac right now, you can sign back into it as a secondary account at system preferences > internet accounts.

If you have any questions about the effects of doing this please ask before proceeding.

Oct 14, 2015 5:51 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Yes. I think my problem may be somewhat of my own making. I went to the Apple store, to see if they could rectify the problem, and it appears I have confused my Apple ID passwords and my iCloud passwords. When the Apple tried to set up the iCloud accounts, because it took more than 3 tries to login, my account is now frozen, and I have to contact Apple support to unlock it.

I really don't know how to explain what I have done to cause this. I can see my passwords in system preferences>passwords, but I have a lot more than I realized.

change primary iCloud account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.