Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to fix the duration of a basic text behaviour

In Motion I create a new title and add a basic text behaviour to it - rotate in, for example. While in Motion I time the 'rotation in' to say 2 seconds and follow this by say three seconds of static title. I publish this to FCP X.

In FCP I would like to re-time the static portion of the title while leaving the 'rotate in' to 2 seconds. Is this possible?

Cutting or trimming the title in FCPX alters both rotating and static portions. So cutting the title clip in half halves bothe the rotting and static portions of the title. I would like to retain the 2 seconds 'rotate in' and follow this with half a second static.

Many thanks.

Posted on Oct 10, 2015 2:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2015 9:23 PM

Yes with Build In/Out markers.

First set the playhead where the build in animation ends. Make sure NO layers are selected in the Layers list. Type 'm' then type command option m to call up the marker dialog. Where it says Type: select Build In Mandatory or Build In Optional. Move the playhead to where the build out animation begins. Take the same steps selecting Build Out options.

The difference: Mandatory: no automatic option parameter published for FCPX, the "effect" is always played. Optional: when unchecked in FCPX, only the media AFTER the marker is played until 1) the Build Out Marker [option] or 2) a Project Loop marker is met.. When the Build Out Optional is unchecked, the effect is played up until that marker, then stops. You cannot combine a project loop marker with build out.

Media between Build In and Build Out is time stretched but the media within the markers is played as designed. Project loop end always plays media as designed, but will loop if stretched longer in the FCPX storyline. It's best use is for looping backgrounds.

I prefer this documentation to the "latest" (it's from Motion 5.1): http://help.apple.com/motion/mac/5.1/#motna475840a — it will give you all the details.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 10, 2015 9:23 PM in response to Farming editor

Yes with Build In/Out markers.

First set the playhead where the build in animation ends. Make sure NO layers are selected in the Layers list. Type 'm' then type command option m to call up the marker dialog. Where it says Type: select Build In Mandatory or Build In Optional. Move the playhead to where the build out animation begins. Take the same steps selecting Build Out options.

The difference: Mandatory: no automatic option parameter published for FCPX, the "effect" is always played. Optional: when unchecked in FCPX, only the media AFTER the marker is played until 1) the Build Out Marker [option] or 2) a Project Loop marker is met.. When the Build Out Optional is unchecked, the effect is played up until that marker, then stops. You cannot combine a project loop marker with build out.

Media between Build In and Build Out is time stretched but the media within the markers is played as designed. Project loop end always plays media as designed, but will loop if stretched longer in the FCPX storyline. It's best use is for looping backgrounds.

I prefer this documentation to the "latest" (it's from Motion 5.1): http://help.apple.com/motion/mac/5.1/#motna475840a — it will give you all the details.

How to fix the duration of a basic text behaviour

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.