Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac mini (Mid 2010) Upgrade issues to El Capitan from Yosemite

I tried to upgrade a Mac mini (Mid 2010) from Yosemite to El Capitan using Screen Sharing (yes, I know...).

The computer cannot boot anymore. I always get the message "Try reinstalling...".

The recovery mode (cmd+r) disk utility cannot repair the disk, the Macintosh HD seems to be unmounted and cannot be mount.

I don't have the mini with me, I trying to fix this mess with a user over the phone...

Mac mini

Posted on Oct 10, 2015 4:21 PM

13 replies

Oct 27, 2015 5:27 PM in response to lllaass

I tried to boot from a Maverick installation disk to install the OS and got the error "Your hard disk is not journaled".

Started the Disk Utility and tried to run the First Aid. But I'm still unable to do the delete process completely.

Now, I can't go to the Apple Hardware Test, all I got at the start up is a blinking question mark folder.

Can I assume my hard disk is dead and go buy an SSD?

Thank you for your help.

Oct 28, 2015 4:54 PM in response to lllaass

In the recovery mode, in disk utility, I try to erase (format) the the hd but I get an error before the process is completed.

I have a Mavericks installation CD. There is an internal SuperDrive on the mini.

I'm always using Mac OS Extended (Journaled) for the format.

Last test I did last night was a recovery from internet. In disk utility I see the HD and the partition but I cannot verify the disk, the progress bar doesn't seems to move...

Sorry if sometimes I'm using S.O.S. instead of First Aid, delete instead of erase. My OS is in french and I'm translating the names for the forum.

Mac mini (Mid 2010) Upgrade issues to El Capitan from Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.