Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iSight issues on iMac 27"

iSight will work upon reboot only

it won't work when PC wakes up from sleep.

iMac, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 11, 2015 1:13 AM

4 replies

Oct 11, 2015 7:18 AM in response to beebux

What specific iMac model and Mac OS X version/build are you using?

You say "PC"? If you are running Windows on your iMac, is the problem only when booted into OS X, only when running Windows, or both?

Have you checked for possible fixes from this Apple Article, especially does it work the same way in a different user account?

If you normally have Firewire, USB, or Thunderbolt devices connected to your Mac, does the problem continue if you disconnect them and restart your Mac?

What hardware or software changes have you made immediately prior to the problem onset?

We will try to offer specific suggestions based on the details in your response.

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac OSX 10.11

Oct 11, 2015 9:06 AM in response to EZ Jim

Hi EZ Jim,

thanks for your reply.

I have an iMac 27-inch, Late 2013 running El Capitan 10.11

I am only running OSX on it, the term PC was used in a generic way (sorry for the confusion). The problem occurs when my computer wakes up from sleep, the camera is detected in the System information under USB but when running Facetime for example, the camera doesn't turn on. I tried rebooting the computer and the camera was available again, I then put my computer on standby then woke it up, same problem camera is blind.

The only change was upgrading from Yosemite to El Capitan. No hardware change or addition. The iSight was working perfectly with Yosemite.

Removing external thunderbolt devices doesn't change the situation.

I am reading the available fixes in the different iSight troubleshooting guides. I still have to try

- the SMC/PMU reset to see if anything changes

- log my user out then back in

I am sure it's software related but then again, I have to do the two steps above.

Oct 12, 2015 9:24 AM in response to beebux

You're welcome.

beebux wrote: ... I am sure it's software related but then again, I have to do the two steps above.

You may be right. My three EC Macs do not exhibit the problem you describe. If the two steps do not help, also consider the following too before posting back.

beebux wrote: Update : Logging user out then back in, brings iSight back to life ...

When logged into a new "Standard" user account, does isight come back to life when Mac wakes from sleep (without logging in and out)?

Are you manually sleeping your Mac and manually waking it up, or is this ones with Energy Saver preference?

Is the problem with iSight failure only with connected apps like FaceTime, or does it fail to restart after sleep in apps like Photo Booth, too? If only in connected apps, have you shut down everything and then restarted your modem and letting it finish its self test, then restarting your router / wireless access point if applicable and completing that self test, and finally restarting your Mac? If you have not done the restart, do so and test iSight function again.

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac OSX 10.11

iSight issues on iMac 27"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.