Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The Oldest backups are deleted when disk full ???

I have 2 iMac machines i also bought to time machines (apple)

My iMac 24 inch is a 2TB and the time machine is also 2TB

My iMac 27 inch has a 3TB and the time Machine is 3TB.

My time machines work well and each iMac is backed with its own Time machine.

i have for some time keep getting Time machine full !

I was under the impressions that the old data is deleted when the disk is full. my does not

Can any help please.

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 11, 2015 4:30 AM

2 replies

Oct 11, 2015 2:21 PM in response to 24bit_192khz_Music

When you upgrade the OS.. it does a massive backup and that new OS causes TM all sorts of issues to figure out what can be deleted in the old backup and what cannot.

Your best bet is to delete the backup and start afresh..

If you want to keep the old backups.. buy a couple of large USB hard disks.. at least as large as the disk in the TC.. or bigger.. IMHO just buy 4TB ones as the best value for money but see what you can find.. plug it into the TC (or format first if not Mac disks HFS+).. go to the airport utility and select archive.

User uploaded file

This will make a complete copy of the contents of the TC to the USB.. no intervention is needed and the computer can be turned off.. it will take around a day or more to do 3TB.. and the disk cannot be used during that time.

Once you archive you can erase the disk and start a new clean backup on each TC.

The Oldest backups are deleted when disk full ???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.