Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

El Capitan not finding printer/scanner (HP)

Hi Folks,

I have an issue in that since installing El Capitan I am unable to use my HP 5510 Printer or scanner. It is a wi-fi printer and connected to my home network via wi-fi. I tried to scan something yesterday only to find that my scanner was saying it wasn't connected to any computer. I opened up HP Utility on my Mac and could see my printer listed, however it has a lovely big Yellow warning triangle above it with the following message:

"Unable to communicate with the selected device. It may have been turned off, or otherwise disconnected"

I have tried uninstalling and re-installing but I get the same message. I have made sure I have all the latest drivers from HP which I do , including the El Capitan update one. I have also tried the reset printer settings option but again I keep getting this message. After checking my printer settings it shows that it is connected to my network so I can only imagine it is a communication issue between El Capitan and my printer.

Any ideas???

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 11, 2015 3:47 AM

2 replies

Oct 11, 2015 2:00 PM in response to MvDarby

HP – Printer Not Found During Wireless Installation

HP – Wireless Printing Center

Network Printer Troubleshooting

Ping printer: If you have the printers IP address open Terminal (Applications/Utilities) and at the prompt type: ping {printerIP}. You will get a reply or failure.

If you haven't done so already, try resetting the printing system.

Reset the printing system - OS X El Capitan

WiFi Printer to WiFi Network - Connect

El Capitan not finding printer/scanner (HP)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.