Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why no audio output on new Apple TV

Why did Apple remove the optical audio output on the new AppleTV version 4? I have an older stereo system as many other people has and I will not purchase the new Apple TV because of this for a long time because I do not want to have to invest into a new stereo system.

Apple TV, (4th generation)

Posted on Oct 11, 2015 8:53 AM

9 replies

Oct 11, 2015 3:16 PM in response to coolbanjoman

Probably because the vast majority of Apple TV users don't need or use the optical audio out on the 2nd and 3rd Gen Apple TV's. HDMI is now the standard and supports audio and video through a single connector.

I did use the Apple TV optical out for several years by connecting the HDMI to my TV and the audio cable to my older non HDMI receiver. I often had issues with the audio being out of sync with the TV image so I finally bought a new AV receiver with HDMI input outputs and no longer need to use the separate audio out on the Apple TV.

Its unfortunate for those that have older home theatre systems but it adds cost and complexity and Apple likely decided its no longer worth it on a new device launching in late 2015. Technology progresses and eventually we need to upgrade.

Nov 9, 2015 4:25 PM in response to coolbanjoman

I'm pretty annoyed too. I didn't bother looking at the specs before I bought the new AppleTV. I just assumed it would work with my current stereo, a very nice Arcam receiver with Optical and coax digital inputs but no HDMI. I have no way of using this new gizmo unless I replace a very expensive and capable pre-amp.

This is total bullcrap! Even RCA analog outs would have been something.

Nov 9, 2015 4:50 PM in response to Eric Bullock

Does your TV have an optical out? If so you could connect the Apple TV to your television via HDMI and send audio back to the receiver. There are also several HDMI to HDMI adapters with optical SPDIF audio out available on Amazon that you could try.

Arcam is nice equipment but sadly any AV receiver without HDMI these days is outdated 😟. I bit the bullet and replaced my beloved NAD last year as it also lacked any HDMI ability.

Nov 10, 2015 6:55 AM in response to morrispe

It may be outdated but I'm not going to let this little $200 box from Apple make it obsolete. To replace it with something comparable is going to cost upwards of $2000 so I am going to try one of these cheap audio extractors. So while there is a workaround I'm still peeved though. Why not include optical out? Would it have increased the manufacturing cost significantly? Doubtful.

Nov 11, 2015 1:27 PM in response to morrispe

I'm not sure I'd call the SPDIF/optical/Toslink output a "sunset technology". I hear what you are saying and didn't miss the floppy or optical drives when they were removed. This is irritating though. But again its my own fault for not checking, and I also understand I'm in the minority. Nearly all recently made consumer electronic gear is heavy on HDMI. But the good stuff has optical/SPDIF ports too.

Luckily I was able to pick up a relatively cheap audio extractor that lets me plug in my optical cable. Problem solved for now.

Dec 29, 2015 7:41 AM in response to coolbanjoman

PLEASE HELP ME!! I cant get any audio from My Apple Tv that is connected to my reveiver with HDMI....do I too need a new receiver? It works fine if connected to TV but who wants that?!?!? Does this mean my HDMI cables are pass through also and I need to replace receiver or what? If it helps u any I connected Apple TV to the DVD/DVR port as my receiver only has 2 HDMI ports....Love u for any help....

why no audio output on new Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.