Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is Macbook pro 13" non retina a worthwhile option for music production with Logic Pro, Ableton, Pro-tools, Cubase etc. if budget is also a factor?

Hi Musicians and experts,

I'm a vocalist and quite new to using a DAW myself. I have used Garageband in my iPad which is not adequate according to me.

At this moment, I'm on the verge of buying a Macbook pro for starting music production extensively.

Primarily I'm interested in using Logic Pro X but I may be using Ableton or Cubase or Pro-tools in future if required.

Please note that budget and quality of work are needed to be optimum for whatever I purchase.

I know the Macbook pro retina is a smarter option but it's really exceeding my budget as I have to save money for buying DAWs, condenser mics etc.

So, as I'm getting an economic deal at a local Apple store, should I buy the mid-2012 Macbook pro non retina which is manufactured in 2015 with 4GB RAM, 4th gen i5 intel processors, 2.5GHz (turbo boost upto 3.1Ghz), 500GB Hard disk drive?

As you know that the good point is - RAM, processor or disk can be upgraded afterwards only for this product.

My activity with a laptop will include extensively working with Logic Pro X, watching YouTube and surfing a lot, listening to music and watching movies.

Please advise whether the non retina Macbook pro is going to be a happy and reliable purchase or you suggest something else.

Posted on Oct 11, 2015 7:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2015 12:43 PM

I don't think you can upgrade MBP's any more. They come sealed up tight.

You want at least 8GB RAM, if not 16.

Get and external USB 3.0 hard drive (7200rpm) to keep your media and projects on.

Retina will not effect the performance of Logic Pro X, I'd not worry about it unless you were doing serious, professional video editing.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 12, 2015 12:43 PM in response to ritankar

I don't think you can upgrade MBP's any more. They come sealed up tight.

You want at least 8GB RAM, if not 16.

Get and external USB 3.0 hard drive (7200rpm) to keep your media and projects on.

Retina will not effect the performance of Logic Pro X, I'd not worry about it unless you were doing serious, professional video editing.

Oct 11, 2015 10:19 AM in response to BenB

Thanks for your reply.

this apple store is telling me though that this non retina MBP is upgradable. However if I can get at least 8gb RAM and the hard drive you mentioned, do you think this MBP will run my Logic Pro X works fine ?

the works will not lag or freeze or do anything like that ?

I'm asking because this is a comparatively previous model of MBP but configuration is fair and upgradable (??) at the same time and it fits my budget too.

Please assure if I should go for it or wait as it might affect speed or perfection...

Thanks in advance ...

Oct 12, 2015 12:45 PM in response to ritankar

Non-Retina is fine (good), maybe even better for running a DAW. 8GB RAM is the minimum.

Processor is NOT upgradeable.

You should be aware that Logic (or any other DAW) can make any Mac computer Lag/Crash and cause various problems. A huge part of being able to run a DAW successfully is the user knowing what he/she is doing. Knowing how to use effects, optimize tracks, first and foremost how to get a good recording in a good room, how to monitor the recording, Mic placement, vocal technique....etc.

You don't even need Logic to do professional work, Garageband for OSX (not iOS) can produce completely professional results. Professional audio recording IS UP TO THE USER more than the software.

Oct 12, 2015 12:53 PM in response to Pancenter

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Now I understand from both of your and BenB's advice that 8GB should be the base RAM And both processor and storage should be smarter.

Lets see if I can increase my budget a little bit and get a better configuration via mid range iMac 21.5" or something equivalent.

THanks again for your time and suggestions ...

Is Macbook pro 13" non retina a worthwhile option for music production with Logic Pro, Ableton, Pro-tools, Cubase etc. if budget is also a factor?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.