Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When restoring time capsule new mac asking for password although I never had password.

Hi,

I've bought a brand new macbook and wanted to restore my macbook pro data from time capsule.

When booting, the new one is asking for password but my MacBook Pro never had password !!!!!!

Now I can't use my new macbook because it is blocked by this password.

Please help !

It is the first time I need my time capsule and discover it is not as simple !

MacBook, New macbook so must be el capitan

Posted on Oct 11, 2015 10:39 AM

3 replies

Oct 11, 2015 1:55 PM in response to Dave_fr

If you bought a brand new macbook you have 90days of apple phone support free.. even without applecare.

My advice is to ring apple and they will walk you through this.

I am not sure I understand your problems.

The new laptop will need your icloud password or whatever password you set on the user when you configured it.

If you did a recovery already tell us how you did it.

From elcapitan you would use migration assistant.. so I do not understand where the booting password is coming from.

The TC will require access password to the disk.. the old computer remembered it in the keychain.. the new one may not yet be given that info.. assuming you are talking about the TC booting or access.

The disk password may have been set separately when you first did it.

The work around for that is simple.. soft reset the TC.. ie hold in the reset for 1sec.. and then all passwords go to default.. ie public.

Oct 12, 2015 12:32 PM in response to Dave_fr

Hello LaPastenague,

Thanks for your reply.

I wasn't very precise on my problem description.

My new macbook never was used (so no iCloud, iTunes, nor any kind of personal settings was implemented).

When I first started it (just out of the original box), it has required for language and keyboard settings (french for me) then ask me if I wanted to use any kind of resource (including TC) to transfer my data.

I've chosen my TC, entered my TC password then restored my macbook pro data to my new macbook.

After restoration, the new macbook OS ask for password.

The old macbook Pro never had any password.

I've tried the TC password but it doesn't work.

I've seen on internet that sometime the TC could implement random password. It it right ?

Thanks for your time.

Oct 12, 2015 12:43 PM in response to Dave_fr

I've seen on internet that sometime the TC could implement random password. It it right ?

No .. that is not correct.

You did this the wrong way.. you do not use Setup Assistant to load your old data into the computer. You use Migration Assistant once the computer has been setup.

OS X Yosemite: Transfer your info from a computer or storage device

Although you may not remember it and did not use the login credentials Apple insist that you have them setup .. so in the old setup there was a password.

You can boot the recovery partition and reset the password.

Change or reset a user account password on your Mac - Apple Support

But IMHO this is still wrong.. you should reinstall El Capitan and Migrate after you complete the setup of the computer.. otherwise you have installed the wrong drivers etc from your old computer.

Since the laptop is new take it to Apple and they can reinstall the original OS for you.

When restoring time capsule new mac asking for password although I never had password.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.