Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

slideshow app for multiple animated gifs

Now that we have apps that can create animated gifs, is there an app that can play a series of multiple animated gifs as a slideshow?

Let's say I have10 animated gifs of the kids in the park. Right now, I can show them one at a time.

But can I run a slide show of all 10 or more of them one after another, some for 10 seconds, some for 30 seconds, some for various length of time, one after another, then repeat the slideshow?

The app can be either for the iMac, or iPhone or iPad.

Is there such an app?

Thank you.

Eddie

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 11, 2015 9:28 AM

11 replies

Oct 11, 2015 9:28 PM in response to Gary Scotland

I tried them... and ...

Safari needs an external site and internet connection.

I don't do Microsoft.

Keynote will do the animated gif but not automatically. I have to stand there to click it to start the animation and click it to go to the next slide.

I am looking for an app that will let me load them GIF's like I do Keynote, it will then run each gif for a while, automatically advance to the next GIF, till the end of all the GIF's, then repeat itself, totally unattended. I am sure all kinds business can use this for advertising and display in the store. I think there must be someone out there who got something like that...

Oct 12, 2015 12:02 PM in response to sungyle

You will need file converter software. One that will thread all the gif files together to play as 1 video/file. This way, they will loop as in continuous play over & over & over, etc. depending on the app you use. QT has looping options.

You can try different converting options. Personally, I would start off w/ QT v7 which can convert gif files to .mov files.

Use a 3rd party file converter to thread the .mov files together into 1 .mov file. You can research for 3rd party converter on the AppStore, MacUpdate and/or do a Google & Bing search.

Unknown if iMovie can thread videos/movies. I have not installed EC *yet.* You will need to ask in the iMovie forum area.

User uploaded file

Oct 13, 2015 9:11 AM in response to sungyle

Safari needs an external site and internet connection.

You are misinformed, web browsers are designed to play media files offline, any compatible media files can be played in Safari, Quicktime movies, H264, TIFF JPEG PNG images mp3 and AIFF sound files to name a few: either drag and drop the image onto the Safari window or File > open

I am looking for an app that will let me load them GIF's like I do Keynote, it will then run each gif for a while, automatically advance to the next GIF, till the end of all the GIF's, then repeat itself, totally unattended.

Keynote plays animated GIF's perfectly well, drag and drop the GIF onto a slide then check the following:

1 - click the GIF on the slide then in Inspector > Format > Movie: deselect, start movie on click

2 - Inspector > Document > Document > in the Presentation type section:

in the dropdown menu change to: Self Playing

set the delay time in the entry box for the number of seconds the slide should show

I am sure all kinds business can use this for advertising and display in the store.

They do, its call Digital Signage, airports, department stores, shopping malls, fast food shops, even Apple retail Stores all use it.

User uploaded file

Oct 13, 2015 9:27 AM in response to Gary Scotland

You are the guru.

You are the one who makes "Apple Forum" meaningful for us who have nothing better to do sitting in retirement homes looking out the window; looking at the rain.

You are the one who make those of us who think "Apple Forum" is useless change our minds and hats off to you with respect.

Thank you sir.

I did a screen capture of your instructions and pinned it on the wall.

Hug.

Would you prefer red wine, white wine, whiskey or beer?

I don't know how to attach a copy of the presentation so you can tell me how to improve it. But, it works.

Thank you Sir.

Eddie

Oct 14, 2015 1:47 AM in response to sungyle

Keynotes definitely has the ability to load and play animated gifs and loop them around infinitely.

Unfortunately, being able to do +, -, X, and ÷ does not make me a mathematician. Being able to run GIFs does not make Keynotes a GIF slideshow master.

The purpose of an animated gif is to take a brief moment in life and repeat it hundreds of times so you can see how it moves through that brief time.

A 4 year old girl kissing a baby takes only 1 second.

An animated gif of that 1 second played over a minute or two gets the whole family laughing happily because you can see the repetition and appreciate that love.

An animated gif of the baby laughing waving his hands in air is just 2 seconds. Being able to play that over a minute gives you the impression that the baby is really excited by the 4 years old kissing him even though in real life, that’s not necessarily what happened.

Keynotes can play each gif for 1 second or 2, depends, depending on the length of the GIF, then loops back to the first slide.

To make the girl appears to be kissing the baby over and over, you have to load the same slide 10, 20, 30 times depending on how long you think it should play, then load the baby laughing slide 10, 20, 30 times and now you have about 60 slides or more in your Keynotes file for only 2 GIF events.

Try to load that into your iPhone after you created it on your iMac. It works, but…

Then, it is, after all, a keynotes file so you need to have keynotes to play it.

So, you need Apple equipment to airplay to see that on Apple TV; I haven’t gone that far yet.

That makes commercial use not really feasible unless you have a spare Mac in your display window/area.

I am, therefore, still looking for a stand alone app that can play animated gifs, dozens of them, one gif can be set to run for 10 seconds, the next one may be 15, the 3rd one may be only 4 seconds… whatever… and all I need is to load 10 slides (not 100’s of the same 10 slides) and it will airplay to Apple TV.

But then, may be I missed something very simple. May be Keynotes can do that.

I hope somebody will tell me I am wrong and point me to the right direction.

Eddie

Oct 14, 2015 4:43 PM in response to sungyle

One more thing...

It appears that Keynotes can only play your GIF for 5 seconds.

Even if you have a 30 second GIF, Keynotes will play the first 5 seconds and that's it.

Do correct me if I were wrong, but I can't seem to find a way to play a full length GIF.

I am aware of converting the GIF to a MOV file and run that, but again, there is no way to repeat an MOV slide over and over. You have to load the slide the number of times you want it to repeat.

But this Keynotes exercise clarifies what a GIF slide show APP should encompass:

1) load any number of GIFs.

2) arrange these GIFs in any order.

3) set the length of time each slide should run before moving to the next slide; and while a slide is on display, it should run the full length of the GIF be it just a 2 seconds or a full 30 second GIF. So if each slide is assigned to run for 3 minutes, there will be a lot of animation.

4) at the end of the last slide, repeat the show.

What I like about Keynotes is that, a GIF can come in many size, from little 236X169 to 640x360 to 720 x 603 to 960x540 but Keynote allows you to adjust the size. That's a very useful function.

There must be somebody out there who can write this app and I am sure lots of people will be happy to pay for it. I can certainly use one at my own funeral... keep on smiling.

Eddie

Oct 17, 2015 3:40 AM in response to sungyle

sungyle wrote:

Keynotes definitely has the ability to load and play animated gifs and loop them around infinitely.

Unfortunately, being able to do +, -, X, and ÷ does not make me a mathematician. Being able to run GIFs does not make Keynotes a GIF slideshow master.

The purpose of an animated gif is to take a brief moment in life and repeat it hundreds of times so you can see how it moves through that brief time.

A 4 year old girl kissing a baby takes only 1 second.

An animated gif of that 1 second played over a minute or two gets the whole family laughing happily because you can see the repetition and appreciate that love.

An animated gif of the baby laughing waving his hands in air is just 2 seconds. Being able to play that over a minute gives you the impression that the baby is really excited by the 4 years old kissing him even though in real life, that’s not necessarily what happened.

Keynotes can play each gif for 1 second or 2, depends, depending on the length of the GIF, then loops back to the first slide.

To make the girl appears to be kissing the baby over and over, you have to load the same slide 10, 20, 30 times depending on how long you think it should play, then load the baby laughing slide 10, 20, 30 times and now you have about 60 slides or more in your Keynotes file for only 2 GIF events.

Try to load that into your iPhone after you created it on your iMac. It works, but…

Then, it is, after all, a keynotes file so you need to have keynotes to play it.

So, you need Apple equipment to airplay to see that on Apple TV; I haven’t gone that far yet.

That makes commercial use not really feasible unless you have a spare Mac in your display window/area.

I am, therefore, still looking for a stand alone app that can play animated gifs, dozens of them, one gif can be set to run for 10 seconds, the next one may be 15, the 3rd one may be only 4 seconds… whatever… and all I need is to load 10 slides (not 100’s of the same 10 slides) and it will airplay to Apple TV.

But then, may be I missed something very simple. May be Keynotes can do that.

I hope somebody will tell me I am wrong and point me to the right direction.

Eddie

slideshow app for multiple animated gifs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.