Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 9 problems on iPad 2

My iPad suddenly runs very slow. Apps are "shakey". Tried to downgrade to iOS 8.4.1 but I was denied the Apple signature and - dead end.

I have close to 10 GB (of 32 GB) free.

- What to do???

iPad 2, iOS 9.0.2, 32 GB

Posted on Oct 11, 2015 11:19 AM

16 replies

Oct 13, 2015 6:21 PM in response to Kengu1

This is one of the few instances where I see the same issue other folks do - my iPad 2 is struggling with iOS 8. If I restart it every couple days, it's mostly OK, but apps tend to crash the first time I launch them. We have some iPad 2's in one of my schools and some of those are on iOS 8 and doing OK, so it's not all iPad 2's at least.

When you say apps are "shakey," what do you mean?

You won't be able to downgrade. That's never been an option, unfortunately. For a brief period after the launch of a new OS, the old one is usually still out there, but that window is long passed for iOS 7 for the iPads.

Jailbreaking has a high risk of doing more harm than good, and you may end up with a paperweight. If you don't have the money to replace the device, avoid doing this.

~Lyssa

Oct 13, 2015 7:43 PM in response to Kengu1

Things to try.

Try clearing Safari histories and caches and cookies.

Try turning on Reduced Motion.

This is found in the Settings App in the General tab the left panel.

In the right panel look under Accessibility, the look for Reduce Motion and turn this feature "On".

You should see an appreciable performance increase on all iPad 2, 3 and 4 models.

Try a hard reset of your iPad by holding down both the Home and sleep/wake buttons simultaneously until your iPad goes to black and restarts with Apple logo, then release the buttons.

Good Luck!

Oct 13, 2015 7:55 PM in response to Lyssa

I upgraded my iPad 3, my Wife's and Mom's iPad 2s ( I upgraded my iPad 3 and my Wife's iPad 2 (64 GB model) connected to computers using iTunes and due to my Mom having older, outdated eMac, had to do her iPad 2 (16 Gb model) upgrade Over The Air (OTA) using Wifi and can happily report that both iPad 2s are purring right along with nary an issue.

I updated my Wife's iPad 2 twice to the current iOS 9.0.2 and no issues.

Her iPad 2 is running fine with no noticeable performance issues.

Her iPad 2 has 34 GBs of free storage left out of 57 GBs

The amount of users reporting into these forums with iOS issues with their iDevices represents a very, VERY small minority.

There are tens of millions (or more) of iDevice users who aren't having issues with their devices and who don't post in user troubleshooting forums, like those provided by Apple.

Just because the small minority of users having issues, that post here, doesn't mean that Apple is at fault or that Apple is forcing users of older hardware to upgrade to newer hardware or Apple is "out to get your money" for a new device!

It just means that some older hardware has had some arbitrary issue that has caused problems with upgrading to new versions of iOS.

OR there was some unforeseen iOS bug or software glitch or anomaly that has affected a small minority of users devices.

This has always been a common issue across all major iOS AND OS X upgrades/updates.

It a pervasive issue when dealing with OS upgrades/updates with so many users with so many different configurations and installed apps.

WIth an ever growing iDevice user base, there will be users that will, invariably and inevitably, run into problems.

Yes, it is a small consolation for those who have iDevices that either aren't working properly or not at all, but the issues ARE NOT RAMPANT across the entire user base of iOS devices!

Apple can't test for every device configuration contingency.

Everyone uses these devices differently and have different apps and data on them and older devices cannot use some features of a new iOS upgrade due to older hardware limitations.

There are just too many variables that are out of Apple's control and can't be tested or accounted for.

For those iDevice users who have devices that are, basically, non-functional or dead, my recommendation is to bring your iDevice into an Apple Store and see if they can diagnose the issues and perform the upgrade in the store for you.

If you have never backed up the data that is on your iDevice, be prepared for Apple to do a restore as new device and try to install the iOS 9 upgrade on an empty iDevice.

Good Luck to everyone and I hope all of you can get your iPads/iPhones/iPod Touches working well again!

Oct 16, 2015 10:20 AM in response to Kengu1

I also have an IPad 2 and am having a problem with it turning off and on randomly while running the most current update of IOS9. I also have had people say they did not receive an email when sent from my iPad. I do not know really what is the best option trying to go backwards or wiping it clean and starting over. Not sure I know how to do either. I backed up to my iMac before upgrading from IOS 8.

Oct 16, 2015 11:24 AM in response to Candace from Carmichael

Here are some things iPad 2,3 and 4 users should try.

Try resetting All Settings found in the Settings App under General and in the right column under Reset.

Try resetting histories and deleting/resetting caches in all of the web browsers you use.

Try turning on Reduced Motion.

This is found in the Settings App in the General tab the left panel.

In the right panel look under Accessibility, the look for Reduce Motion and turn this feature "On".

You should see an appreciable performance increase on all iPad 2, 3 and 4 models.

Try a hard reset of your iPad by holding down both the Home and sleep/wake buttons simultaneously until your iPad goes to black and restarts with Apple logo, then release the buttons.

Good Luck!

Oct 16, 2015 12:06 PM in response to Candace from Carmichael

Look under the name to whom I was responding.

I responded to you, in kind, and gave you some options to try.

I was responding to Kengu 1 who gave me a sarcastic response to a reply thst wasn't addressed to him, either.

I was responding to Another Poster, Lyssa, in this thread, who claims no older iDevices should be updated to the new iOS 9 as it will cause issues for all older iDevices.

SImply pointing out to Lyssa that this is not true.

Oct 16, 2015 12:39 PM in response to Candace from Carmichael

Uupdate

Any thread you are active in, in the Apple Supoort Community Forums, you will receive email notifications for.

When you have received a helpful or solved response and give that credit to a particular contributor that helped or solved your issues, Go into that thread posting

You can click on one of those threads you were active in and there should be a term "Following" with a check mark in the upper right corner of that page that you can click on the term or word "Following" to gray out" that word and the check mark to no longer be active in a thread if you no longer wish to receive additional email notifications on a thread posting that you are no longer interested or active in.

iOS 9 problems on iPad 2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.