Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac Camera on Facetime

My friend had to get a new Hard Drive on her Mac. It was going out and when she tried to upgrade from Mtn Lion to El Capitan it completely failed. Apple store put in a new hard drive with El Capitan. I got it set up for her and it restored from her passport Time Machine backup so she's back in business. But we just did FaceTime on the new hard drive & new OS and noticed the camera was showing a wider picture? I see her fine but the picture is wider and we don't remember the room side walls showing up in it. Could they have cleaned the camera or moved it a little when they put the new HD in? Or is El Capitan sending it out wider? It's not a problem, just wondering.

iPad 2, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Oct 11, 2015 11:31 AM

5 replies

Oct 12, 2015 9:48 AM in response to WhiteVolvo

WhiteVolvo wrote:... FaceTime ... camera was showing a wider picture? ...

Does the trouble continue after restarting the Mac?

Do you mean portrait vs landscape video orientation? FaceTime for Mac (El Capitan): Change the FaceTime window

Do you mean that FT app expands to fill the entire full screen view? OS X El Capitan: Focus on apps in full screen or Split View

WhiteVolvo wrote:... Could they have cleaned the camera or moved it a little when they put the new HD in? ...

I suppose it is possible. If your problem continues to concern you, take the Mac back to the Apple Store and ask them to verify that the repair was done properly. Before leaving, ask them to demonstrate that the FT camera view is working properly.

WhiteVolvo wrote:...Or is El Capitan sending it out wider? It's not a problem, just wondering.

El Capitan is not "sending it out wider" on any of my three El Capitan Macs. For me, FT works and looks the same as it did in Yosemite.

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac OSX 10.11

Oct 12, 2015 11:19 AM in response to EZ Jim

Well we did figure out Portrait vs Landscape. That a new setting/feature. I guess that's for small things like cell phones. But I don't think that affects what I'm talking about. We don't have a problem, just that we noticed that her camera is capturing/seeing a wider view of the room and wondered why.

While I'm here, when you first start the computer and get to the first screen to put in your password is the El Capitan picture on the screen suppose to be fuzzy behind the password box? She worries about that. Then when she logs in it comes up to her old prior desktop picture of the mountains and snow. She upgraded from Mtn Lion.

Oct 13, 2015 12:06 PM in response to WhiteVolvo

WhiteVolvo wrote:... is the El Capitan picture on the screen suppose to be fuzzy behind the password box? ...

Yes.

WhiteVolvo wrote:... She worries about that...

It is good to hear that she doesn't have problems causing real worries! 😉

WhiteVolvo wrote:...Then when she logs in it comes up to her old prior desktop picture of the mountains and snow...

If she doesn't like her old prior desktop picture of the mountains and snow, she can change her desktop picture using OS X El Capitan: Desktop preferences. If she does not see anything she likes already stored there, she can copy a jpg, png, or tif picture file she prefers into her Finder > Go > Computer > Hard disk > Library > Desktop Pictures folder (or any of the sub folders inside.) Then she can use Desktop Preferences to select that new favorite.

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac OSX 10.11

iMac Camera on Facetime

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.