Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The '2' button my my Apple aluminium wireless keyboard won't work

Just replaced the batteries and noticed that the number 2 key on my less than a year old wireless keyboard won't work. I can't imagine I physically busted it, that would be very surprising - any guesses of how to solve this?

Thanks

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Oct 11, 2015 3:52 PM

3 replies

Oct 12, 2015 7:31 AM in response to Barry Hemphill

Yeah, on second thought I think it's almost exactly a year ago that I bought this, so it might be worth it to try and call them anyway, but it might have elapsed over the one-year mark.

Either way, I see online that there are lots of problems like this with the wireless keyboard, and I've tried all the suggested solutions, from checking Accessibility Settings, to to reseting PRAM, to re-Pairing, and no luck. What's so strange (and as seems to be the same situation with many people) is it was working just fine, then the batteries ran out, and upon replacing them, now the '2' doesn't work, and the 'tab' doesn't work either (presumably a few others don't work as well but I haven't discovered them yet. It's baffling to speculate: while there's almost certainly nothing wrong with the keyboard physically (it's in perfect condition), something must have changed in the keyboard's bluetooth when the batteries ran out, as I can't imagine it has anything to do with my computer (when the batteries ran out, the keyboard was over a mile away, so there's no way it could have communicated with my laptop and thus glitched out the laptop's bluetooth reception).

We'll see - I'm going to keep trying some experiments, but will call Apple as well.

Oct 12, 2015 8:17 AM in response to jarombra

Just called Apple, the only other thing they suggested in addition to everything else I tried is the SMC reset, and alas, no luck.

So it's a mystery - I'm near positive that there is nothing wrong physically with this keyboard (or my laptop) so maybe, someday, it will snap back to working properly magically? Not having the 2 or tab key isn't the end of the world, but definitely a bit annoying.

The '2' button my my Apple aluminium wireless keyboard won't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.