Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'd like to add some aftermarket RAM to my Mac Pro (2013)

Hey everyone,

I have a Mac Pro 2013 model with 12gb of RAM that it shipped with. I'm thinking 32gb would be good as I do a fair bit of virtualisation. Apple recommends 1866MHz DDR3 ECC unbuffered DIMMs. I don't want to buy it from the Apple store as it's way overpriced. But finding it hard to locate RAM with these specs in a local PC shop. I my questions are:

• Can I use non-ECC RAM (I know it's not recommended, but will it work?)
  • If I buy ECC, is 1600MHz still going to work?

I've done a lot of searching online, but I can't find a definitive answer to these questions. Everyone always has theoretical replies when similar questions are asked, and a lot of the answers are conflicting.

I know getting slower, or non-ECC RAM isn't recommended, but I'm just looking at all options for now.

Thanks in advance!

Mac Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 11, 2015 5:42 PM

11 replies

Oct 11, 2015 6:10 PM in response to stevegrehan

16GB and larger DIMMs are registered (i.e.., have a Buffer Register) they will not play nice with unRegistered DIMMs. So you need to decide NOW whether you are ever going bigger than 32GB, because doing so will involve 16GB and larger Registered DIMMs.

Buy from a Mac-Centric vendor Vendor who says:

"It works in your Mac,

Or your money Back."

Otherwise, you run the risk of owning some very nice DIMMs that work great, but do not happen to work in your Mac.

Of course you cannot locate these DIMMs in a local PC shop. These are Server DIMMs.

The larger the memory you install, the More important having the extra error-correction bits becomes. The Xeon Processor generates eight extra check bits on each Write, and check these bits on each Read. Single-bit errors are corrected on the fly in one stretched memory cycle. Double-bit errors are detected, and Halt your Mac on a kernel panic, machine check to avoid poisoning your data.

If you have ever tried to debug illusive computer problems, that may also be caused by marginal memory, the confidence of going forward saying, "It is NOT memory because my Mac has error correction" is just amazing. Trying to defeat this feature is folly.

--------

this site has very good service, and has always served me with the correct modules, first time every time:

http://www.datamemorysystems.com/apple-mac-pro-12-core-intel-xeon-e5-2-7ghz-md87 8ll/a-cto-late-2013-memory-upgrades/

I have no relationship with them except that of loyal customer.

--------

This site is among the most popular of all Mac aftermarket vendors:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Mac-Pro-Memory#1866-memory

you can trade in your old modules and save a little money. This is the rate at this writing (subject to change):

Trade-in Values for Memory from 1866MHz DDR3 DIMM Mac Pro 2013 systems:

• Apple Original 4GB - $17.00
  • Apple Original 12GB Set (4GB x 3) - $51.00
  • Apple Original 16GB Set (4GB x 4) - $68.00
  • Apple Original 8GB - $32.50
  • Apple Original 32GB Set (8GB x 4) - $130.00
  • Apple Original 16GB - $80.00
  • Apple Original 64GB Set (16GB x 4) - $320.00

Oct 11, 2015 6:23 PM in response to stevegrehan

I used to simply suggest against installing non-ECC RAM, telling Users that defeating this excellent feature was a really Bad Idea.

But recently, I have been unable to even FIND DIMMs this fast that were not ECC. You are considering Trashing one of the best features of your Mac Pro to save what, US$20?? Forgetaboutit.

Why slow down your Mac by installing slower RAM? RAM backed by Vendor support is available at reasonable prices, and includes a LifeTime Warranty.

1@8GB at Apple: US$200/each

1@8GB at DataMem under US$80/each

1@8GB at OWC/Macsales Under US$90/each, under US$80/four, and then you can trade in on top of that.

But also consider substituting 2@16GB Registered for about the same or Less, and keeping two slots open for future expansion.

Oct 11, 2015 6:39 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Hey Grant,

Yeah no as I said, I'm sold on ECC RAM, however the 1600MHz is much easier to find. I'm in Australia and prices here are nowhere near that. Much higher indeed. The benefits between 1866mhz and 1600mhz are far outweighed by having access to more. 16gb x 2 is probably the way I will go if I can just find out... is 1600mhz still going to work 😉

So... do you think it will be fine?

Thanks again!

Oct 14, 2015 4:44 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Hey Grant,

Some answers for you:

What Vendor did you use in Australia? Umart

Did they recommend these DIMMs? If not, how did you decide on these specific DIMMs? No I just checked the specs and matched against what Apple recommended. The only thing that doesn't match is the speed which I'm ok with - negligible difference compared to the benefits of extra memory.

Do they come with money-back guarantee? They accepted returns with a 20% restocking fee. I was willing to take the risk.

Do they come with lifetime warranty? No, only 12 months. I'm not going to be using this Mac forever so not particularly worried about a lifetime warranty 🙂

Cheers

Oct 14, 2015 7:14 PM in response to stevegrehan

It sounds like you reached some good compromises that work for you. Congratulations.🙂

When I looked on the Kensington web site they had 11 different 16GB DDR3 ECC 1866 modules. When I looked at slower modules, there was no guidance about which might "downshift" and work correctly in a Mac Pro (which is one problem some Users have faced, among others).

I am glad you were able to weigh the costs vs the risks and come to a decision, and that you won the bet that these would work. Other Readers in a similar situation will thank you as well when they read about your choices and learn more about this complicated subject.

I'd like to add some aftermarket RAM to my Mac Pro (2013)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.