Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mid 2012 macbook bootcamp black screen

Hello,

I am using a Mid-2012 13 inch MBP, running the newest version of El Capitan (10.11 fully updated).

Specs: 2.5 ghz i5

4GB ram

500 GB hard drive (I created a 75 gb partition for windows)

I am attempting to use bootcamp to install windows 8.1.

I partitioned 75 gb, created the .iso from my windows DVD, and let bootcamp run. It reboots to a black screen. I attempted re-partitioning and re-creating the .iso but to no avail.

If I hold alt during bootup, it allows to me the option to boot to my Macintosh HD, boot to a removable drive labeled Windows, and also the option to boot to a removable drive labeled EFI. I boot to the windows drive and it says "No bootable device - please insert a bootable device and press any key." It does not seem to recognize key strokes.

Other details: I am plugged in to a power source. I am using a Kingston 16gb USB 3.0 flash drive with the .iso + drivers written on it by Bootcamp Assistant. I have no other devices plugged in. I also tried using the flash drive through a USB 2.0 hub but it made no difference.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11), 2.5 ghz i5 4GB ram 500GB hard drive

Posted on Oct 11, 2015 9:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2015 7:42 PM

Your specific model of MBP allows installation from either a DVD+USB or a USB Installer. USB 3.0 will not work with your Mac.

1. Disconnect all external storage devices except the USB Installer.

2. The USB Install needs to use a USB2 flash drives.

3. Generic USB Flash drives cause issues related to boot ability.

4. Try a SMC Reset and NVRAM reset and test.

Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

How to Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 13, 2015 7:42 PM in response to todonogh

Your specific model of MBP allows installation from either a DVD+USB or a USB Installer. USB 3.0 will not work with your Mac.

1. Disconnect all external storage devices except the USB Installer.

2. The USB Install needs to use a USB2 flash drives.

3. Generic USB Flash drives cause issues related to boot ability.

4. Try a SMC Reset and NVRAM reset and test.

Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

How to Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Oct 13, 2015 7:44 PM in response to Loner T

Thank you Loner T. Here are my responses to your 4 points.

1: There were no other devices plugged into my computer - just power and the USB 3.0 installer.

2: I have purchased a USB 2.0 flash drive and I am waiting for its arrival to continue.

3: What do you mean by this? How can I tell if my flash drive is generic or not? I purchased this drive: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DYQYITG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_deta ilpage_o00_s00

4: I will perform these resets before attempting an install with my USB 2.0 flash drive.

Thank you again for your help. I will update this thread once I obtain a USB 2.0 drive and try again.

Jan 3, 2016 10:26 AM in response to todonogh

Hi

I was wondering if El Capitan caused no problems to your mac. We have the same macbook pro specs, Mid 2012 4gb RAM 500gb HDD 2.5ghz. I badly want to try the split view of El Capitan, just worried the update might cause problem and I've read reviews that El Capitan is better if SSD is used (changing to SSD is not an option for me since it's too pricey for my budget).

So, how's El Capitan on your mac? 🙂

mid 2012 macbook bootcamp black screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.