Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i moved imovie to an external drive and it disapeared

Hi, Everything is gone! I want to cry!

To save space on my computer, I moved my library to an external drive by following these steps

1. I created a new library on my external drive

2. I highlighted all the events and dragged and dropped them into the new library events

3. I wanted for it to finished with that circle

4. I deleted the devents off my computer since it seemed to have made a copy

5. I clicked close library for my external drive

6. I clicked open library from my external drive and it was empty!!! EMPTY! and i already moved to trash the events on my computer!

So now everything is gone! But I literally copied to my external drive and it was adding gigs before my eyes! Then it deleted everything and I did not delete

Please help???

iPhone 4, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Oct 11, 2015 8:49 PM

2 replies

Oct 11, 2015 9:09 PM in response to strawberry cake heaven

More info, I just did a test to see so i moved 1 event the same way, then i closed the library. This time I did not delete the original event

When I loaded the library and looked at the space it was only 24MB! impossible because the event i copied is over 1GIG!

So its not actually moving the event at all!! This is an illusion! Its only referencing it I assume?? This is terrible!!!

That means it was just referencing it and it never copied and now I lost 4 months worth of movies!!!!

What is the point of dragging it if it doesnt even copy over!

Last time I deleted the originals because i thought it was COPIED! but its not! It just shows the name and files but they are not actually on the external hard drive at all!

Maybe they were but when you close the library and open again they disapear! Even when it shows the name, it doesnt show the space!

i moved imovie to an external drive and it disapeared

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.