Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When installing windows my MAC won't recognize my keyboard and mouse

Hello, I created the installation thumb drive with windows on it and when the files load and I get to the first screen for installing windows my keyboard and mouse won't work. Has anyone else had this problem? I am trying to install it on my 2013 iMac with the bluetooth keyboard and magic mouse.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Oct 11, 2015 9:21 PM

4 replies

Oct 12, 2015 4:48 AM in response to sneil

1. Disconnect all external storage devices except the USB Installer.

2. The USB Install needs to use a USB2 flash drives.

3. Generic USB Flash drives cause issues related to boot ability.

4. What is the year/model of your Mac?

5. Try a SMC Reset and NVRAM reset and test.

Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

How to Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Oct 12, 2015 10:37 PM in response to sneil

I figured it out. I had the Windows support files in a flash drive as well as the bootable windows flash drive in the computer. When my computer restarted and tried to boot Windows from the flash drive it tried to read the support files instead of the iso. Obviously it could not find anything on this flash drive and at first I thought that it was just a minor bug that had happened during the restart so I tried to boot into the correct flash drive and thats when my mouse and keyboard would not work.

In order to fix this problem you have to switch the position of the two flash drives with one another (I think the computer reads whichever flash drive is "first in line" on the motherboard, if you will), remove the Windows partition, then go through the steps of re-adding the partition. the computer will restart and this time boot into the correct flash drive and the mouse and keyboard will work.

When installing windows my MAC won't recognize my keyboard and mouse

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.