Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have to reinstall OSX 10.11 on my MacPro every reboot

I installed OSX 10.11 on my MacPro about 10 days ago with no apparent problems until it came to rebooting. On reboot, the the computer goes into a loop showing the Apple logo with the bar underneath but after moving along the bar a few millimetres, the computer reboots again.

Any suggestions?

Regards,

Boob

Mac Pro (Late 2013), OS X El Capitan (10.11), 64GB memory

Posted on Oct 12, 2015 12:29 AM

8 replies

Oct 12, 2015 1:00 AM in response to bobvic96

I am confused. The subject says reinstall EC every time while the body says reboots.

Just what is happening?\

Does it reboot continuously or only once and the OSX opens?

If you actually have to boot to Recovery and reinstall the EC each time are you formatting the startupd disk?

Have you tried repairing the startup disk?

Oct 12, 2015 1:37 AM in response to lllaass

My apologies for not being clearer. The Mac Pro will not restart but goes into a reboot loop some 30 seconds after displaying the Apple logo (I was incorrect in my original submission, the white bar does not move along).

I have an installable EL Capitan on a USB drive from which I installed OSX 10.11 and the only way I can get the computer to successfully restart is to hold down the option key while booting and reinstall EC from the USB drive (which takes 18 minutes each time).

Oct 12, 2015 12:39 PM in response to bobvic96

If you can't start up and log in in the usual way, try in safe mode.

During startup, you’ll see a progress bar, and then the login screen, which appears even if you normally log in automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Log in as an administrator to carry out these instructions. If you have only one account, you are the administrator.

If you don't see any reports listed, but you know there was a panic, you may have chosen Diagnostic and Usage Messages from the log list. Choose DIAGNOSTIC AND USAGE INFORMATION instead.

Safe mode is slower than normal, and some things won’t work at all.

Note: If FileVault is enabled in OS X 10.9 or earlier, or if a firmware password is set, or if the startup volume is a software RAID, you can’t start in safe mode.

If you're able to log in, launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go ▹ Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

In the Console window, select

DIAGNOSTIC AND USAGE INFORMATION ▹ System Diagnostic Reports

(not Diagnostic and Usage Messages) from the log list on the left. If you don't see that list, select

View ▹ Show Log List

from the menu bar.

There is a disclosure triangle to the left of the list item. If the triangle is pointing to the right, click it so that it points down. You'll see a list of reports. A panic report has a name that begins with "Kernel" and ends in ".panic". Select the most recent one. The contents of the report will appear on the right. Use copy and paste to post the entire contents—the text, not a screenshot.

I know the report is long, maybe several hundred lines. Please post all of it anyway.

If you don't see any reports listed, but you know there was a panic, you may have chosen Diagnostic and Usage Messages from the log list. Choose DIAGNOSTIC AND USAGE INFORMATION instead.

In the interest of privacy, I suggest that, before posting, you edit out the “Anonymous UUID,” a long string of letters, numbers, and dashes in the header of the report, if it’s present (it may not be.)

Please don’t post other kinds of diagnostic report.

When you post the report, you might see an error message on the web page: "You have included content in your post that is not permitted," or "The message contains invalid characters." That's a bug in the forum software. Please post the text on Pastebin, then post a link here to the page you created.

Oct 14, 2015 10:30 PM in response to lllaass

The disk utility found no errors. The computer could not start in safe, or any other, mode and the only way I could get the computer to restart was going through the reinstall OSX via the USB drive. This was very strange because the computer successfully rebooted as part of the installation routine.

I the end I (backed up) and erased the primary HD. So far, things appear to be OK.

Thanks for the efforts.

Regards,

Bob

Oct 15, 2015 4:18 AM in response to bobvic96

Hey bobvic96,

I got almost exactly the same problem, only I updated my MacBook Pro (2008) and I use a recovery partition to reinstall.

The symptoms are the same though:

The MacBook gets stuck in a reboot loop ever since the El Capitan Upgrade. The reboot happens each time shortly after the Mac displays the progress bar - which stays empty.

Safe Mode (shift) does not seem to work and neither does the hardware diagnostics tool (d), but I guess its a software error anyway.

However, the Recover System (Cmd + r) works:

Disk Utility shows no errors.

Reinstallation is possible and works fine until the next reboot. (I tried several times)

@Link Davis

I checked the console but there are no system diagnostics reports.

No kernel panic, so it should be a problem with some applications, right?

Did I miss something I should have done?

Any other idea, what I could check to find the error?

I'd rather not just erase the HD....

thx,

JS

I have to reinstall OSX 10.11 on my MacPro every reboot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.