Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A bit of ClamAV trouble on Snow Leopard Server

Hello fellow Mac users,

I have installed Snow Leopard Server in VMware on El Capitan. Just to run InDesign CS4 and Illustrator CS4 forever because I'm never going to subscribe to these applications in Adobe's Creative Cloud. The server has no server tasks (Apple doesn't permit installation of OS X clients in Virtual Machines).

In Console I see that ClamAV is starting every 10 seconds and I don't know what to do about that.

From Console:

10/12/15 10:20:00 AM org.clamav.clamd[2476] LibClamAV Error: cli_loadinfo: Digital signature not found

10/12/15 10:20:00 AM org.clamav.clamd[2476] LibClamAV Error: Can't load main.info: Malformed database

10/12/15 10:20:00 AM org.clamav.clamd[2476] LibClamAV Error: cli_tgzload: Can't load main.info

10/12/15 10:20:00 AM org.clamav.clamd[2476] LibClamAV Error: Can't load /var/clamav/main.cvd: Malformed database

10/12/15 10:20:00 AM org.clamav.clamd[2476] ERROR: Malformed database

10/12/15 10:20:00 AM com.apple.launchd[1] (org.clamav.clamd[2476]) Exited with exit code: 1

10/12/15 10:20:00 AM com.apple.launchd[1] (org.clamav.clamd) Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds

10/12/15 10:20:10 AM org.clamav.clamd[2478] LibClamAV Warning: **************************************************

10/12/15 10:20:10 AM org.clamav.clamd[2478] LibClamAV Warning: *** The virus database is older than 7 days! ***

10/12/15 10:20:10 AM org.clamav.clamd[2478] LibClamAV Warning: *** Please update it as soon as possible. ***

10/12/15 10:20:10 AM org.clamav.clamd[2478] LibClamAV Warning: **************************************************

I would like to repair this, or in the worst case disable ClamAV.

Ideas anyone?

Posted on Oct 12, 2015 2:11 AM

6 replies

Oct 12, 2015 2:38 AM in response to RobBT

There had been some reported issues with Snow Leopard 10.6.8 server edition in past years

where Clam[X] AV was involved; a few of those appear directly below this thread in the section:

More Like This

The second item above covers more than one scenario, and it may be you should disable

the ClamXAV scan to see if the last suggestion in the 'malformed clamav database' thread

could be helpful. Considering the suggestions are from a few years ago. You could also

contact the developer directly through specific link(s) in the top margin of Clam AV page...

https://www.clamxav.com/download.html -+- https://www.clamxav.com/contactus

Hopefully you can resolve the issue, and still have an occasional means to scan & isolate

unfamiliar files from questionable sources... If you need to use Snow Leopard directly online.

PS: Note ClamXAV says their product no longer is on the App Store.

In any event...

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Oct 12, 2015 3:27 AM in response to K Shaffer

K Shaffer wrote:

There had been some reported issues with Snow Leopard 10.6.8 server edition in past years

where Clam[X] AV was involved; a few of those appear directly below this thread in the section:

More Like This

The second item above covers more than one scenario (...)

In any event...

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Running freshclam in Terminal was the fix for me. I found the solution is the second link you posted. Thank you!

Nov 12, 2015 9:08 AM in response to RobBT

RobBT wrote:

Hello fellow Mac users,

I have installed Snow Leopard Server in VMware on El Capitan. Just to run InDesign CS4 and Illustrator CS4 forever because I'm never going to subscribe to these applications in Adobe's Creative Cloud. The server has no server tasks (Apple doesn't permit installation of OS X clients in Virtual Machines).

It was a common Urban Myth that the Snow Leopard EULA prohibits its use in virtualization in Lion and thereafter on a Mac. This myth has been debunked since its original introduction a Parallels support document in 2011.

When Apple reduced the price of Snow Leopard Server by 95%, to the same $19.99 as Snow Leopard, it made the issue largely moot!

Adobe Photoshop CS running in Snow Leopard client in Parallels:

User uploaded file

[click on image to enlarge]

A bit of ClamAV trouble on Snow Leopard Server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.