Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Boot Camp to install Windows 10. Won't work. Why not?

I've gone through the process of downloading the support software onto a USB stick. I purchased a copy of Windows 10 online and that's plugged in too. The mac restarted as it was supposed to but didn't go to the installer bit, I just ended up back on the startup login screen.

I'm guessing here that it'll only install from an ISO image. Is this correct? I've downloaded one from Microsoft and just wanted confirmation that this is correct before I spend hours tonight trying to install it.

If I am correct, why wouldn't it install from a USB stick? I assume it's quite common to install from USB sticks these days so why would a Mac insist on using a disk image?

Anyway, am I correct?

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013), OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 12, 2015 2:41 AM

16 replies

Oct 12, 2015 3:30 AM in response to andyward82

Use these steps to choose a startup disk with Startup Manager:

1. Turn on or restart your Mac.
  2. Immediately press and hold the Option key. After a few seconds, the Startup Manager appears. If you don't see the volume you want to use, wait a few moments for Startup Manager to finish scanning connected drives.
  3. Use your mouse or trackpad, or left and right arrow keys to select the volume you want to use.
  4. Double-click or press the Return key to start up your Mac from the volume you select

Choose the USB in this startup manager and then it will install windows.

I hope this helps.

Oct 12, 2015 6:26 AM in response to andyward82

Your iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013) - Technical Specifications has

Connections and Expansion

User uploaded file

• SDXC card slot
  • Four USB 3 ports (compatible with USB 2)
  • Two Thunderbolt ports
  • Mini DisplayPort output with support for DVI, VGA, and dual-link DVI (adapters sold separately)
  • 10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet (RJ-45 connector)
  • Kensington lock slot

If the Windows Installer does not have appropriate drivers, USB3 devices do not work. This is a Windows Installer issue, not a hardware issue. W7/W8.1 installers do not have such drivers. If you bought W10, test it. The USB3 W10 is not an ISO, it is an installer.

Oct 12, 2015 7:28 AM in response to Loner T

Hi thanks for this, however I'm still without a definitive answer.

I'm aware of the slots on the back of the mac and what they are - that's all understood.

SOoooooo, it's not going to install from the Windows USB that I purchased. That's fine - the serial number/activation key/whatever is what I paid for pretty much.

So, as an alternative, I have already downloaded the official Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft and was going to go through this to install.

Would this work?

Oct 12, 2015 7:37 AM in response to andyward82

andyward82 wrote:

So, as an alternative, I have already downloaded the official Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft and was going to go through this to install.

Would this work?

Yes, it will work. Use BCA and start the process using a USB2 flash disk. Please post any issues you see. If you see a GPT v MBR issue, it can be easily corrected.

Oct 12, 2015 11:30 AM in response to Loner T

Right, well I've had a go and I'm having a trouble.

I got a USB drive (2.0) and wiped it as FAT. All fine.

I took the windows 10 ISO downloaded from the Microsoft site.

I've tried to install it and now I have this issue - see attached.

Can anyone help me?

I've not even got Windows installed and already I'm sick of PCs.

It's saying it needs to be Windows 7 or later yet clearly I have a Windows 10 ISO!!!!

HELP!!!!!

User uploaded file

Oct 13, 2015 5:16 AM in response to andyward82

So, here's what happened in the end.

It all seemed to go to plan. The windows logo appeared and the setup dialogue box came up.

It asked me what partition I wanted to install onto. I didn't know the answer. So, looking at them - one of them was around 35gb (roughly the same as my BootCamp partition) so I assumed it was that. So, I formatted it and sent the installer on its way. It got to about 90% done and a message that had the word "locale" in it appeared and then uninstalled everything.

Once that was done it tried to restart but I'd seemingly wiped the OS from my hard drive so I had to re-install it.

So, back to square one really.

What partition should I have used?

Why isn't there any mention of having to choose what partition I want it installed on?

This is an absolute pain in da bum!

Using Boot Camp to install Windows 10. Won't work. Why not?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.