Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule and spotlight searching

I did the mistake by purchasing Airport Time Capsule to use as an external hard drive. I need to do a massive exchange of files switching in Final Cut Pro X and need to be able to use Spotlight to easily find my files which are stored on the Time Capsule.

Problem is that Spotlight does not search my Time Capsule.

I have tried Preferences, Spotlight, Privacy: add and remove Time Capsule to "re-index" it but it does not work.

Finder`s search does also not search my Time Capsule.

I read something about exchanging the TC`s driver to a ntfs version, am I on the right path there?

New Macbook Pro 2015 (iOS: El Capitano), Time Capsule from 2014.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 8.4.1, 15" fast machine for video editing.

Posted on Oct 12, 2015 4:16 AM

1 reply

Oct 12, 2015 1:41 PM in response to Örjan Lennström

I read something about exchanging the TC`s driver to a ntfs version, am I on the right path there?

On a Mac.. never.. NTFS is purely windows/microsoft.

A TC can neither read or write to NTFS.. it has in fact a hugely limited number of formats.. and that ends up one only.. ie HFS+ .. standard apple Mac format.

The TC is not now or ever designed to be a NAS.

If you want to use it that way the problem is the tools may not work at all on network drives.

You can create a sparsebundle / DMG and load our files into that.. spotlight should have no trouble searching a mounted sparsebundle DMG because it is a virtual disk.

I have to say though.. spotlight always did work on the TC..

Do you have it properly mounted in finder??

I just did a test and it worked fine on Mountain Lion..

I will test it from el capo.

Edit

Yes, it worked fine but the Data (whatever the share name is .. data by default) had to be mounted.. otherwise it was not listed even if the TC was present.

Make sure your files are actually visible in finder and it should work.

Time Capsule and spotlight searching

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.