Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I received a security alert while on safari and told to call a number to fix the problem is this legit?

I clicked on a website and immediately was told to call 1-808439-6801, to fix the virus that is now on my Mac. i am new to Mac is this Legit? I am on hold.

MacBook

Posted on Oct 12, 2015 4:55 AM

3 replies

Oct 12, 2015 9:10 PM in response to mburke21

This is phishing. There is no virus on your computer. The problem comes either from a website you visited, from a Safari extension or from malware.

As stedman1 said, quitting Safari and launching it from the dock while holding the shift key will likely solve the problem, because it will close all your tabs and temporarily disable your Safari extensions.

If the problem comes back when you launch Safari normally (and visit DIFFERENT websites), go into Safari preferences and disable your extensions one by one to see which one is causing the problem.

If stedman1's trick doesn't work, go in Safari preferences, in General, and make sure your startpage is a known-good website. If it isn't already, change it, quit Safari, and launch it from the dock while holding shift.

If this still doesn't work, I advise you to run MalwareBytes. You can get it here for free : https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/mac/

If this still doesn't work, which would greatly surprise me, call Apple directly. They'll be happy to help you with that. Get their number here : Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

I received a security alert while on safari and told to call a number to fix the problem is this legit?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.