Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

setting up airport time capsule with extended network

I just purchased a new AirPort Time Capsule (set-up worked fine) and I would like to extend my wireless network by adding an AirPort Extreme via Ethernet. The Airport Utility menu shown in Apple's article on this topic (Wi-Fi base stations: Setting upa nd configuring a roaming network (801.22 a/b/n/n) is different my Airport Utility menu. I am on OS X El Capitan.

Can someone point me to a current article or help? Thanks.

AirPort Time Capsule-OTHER, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 12, 2015 5:48 AM

2 replies

Oct 12, 2015 7:01 AM in response to mfiebert

The article that you reference is unfortunately about 4 years out of date.

Simply follow the instructions in the Setup Guide that came with your AirPort Express.

First, establish the Ethernet connection from a LAN <--> port on the AirPort Time Capsule to the WAN "O" port on the AirPort Express and power up the Express for minute or two.

Then click the WiFi icon at the top of the Mac's screen and look for a listing of New AirPort Base Station. Just under that, click on AirPort Express.

User uploaded file

That will get the setup "wizard" running. It will take a few seconds to display a screen that looks like this, except that you will see your devices pictured.

User uploaded file

Enter a device name that you want to use for the AirPort Express and click Next.

The setup "wizard" will set up everything for you, indicating that the AirPort Express will be setup to "extend using Ethernet". When you see the message of Setup Complete, click Done.

That's it. You now have a roaming network.

setting up airport time capsule with extended network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.