Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod Touch (2nd gen) gives "invalid response" to iTunes

I've got an old iPod Touch 2nd gen that I only use for playing music (no games, wifi, photos, etc.). I tried to connect it to iTunes the other day and got this message: "iTunes could not connect to the iPod Touch 'Shai-Hulud' because an invalid response was received from the device".

I tried resetting the iPod, tried it with different USB cords and even restored it to factory settings and I still get the message. iTunes even still recognises the iPod by name even though I restored it to factory settings and wiped all the content from it.

I have an iPod nano as well and iTunes is happy to connect to it - just not the 2nd gen Touch. Any advice guys?

iPod touch

Posted on Oct 12, 2015 7:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply
12 replies

Oct 15, 2015 7:17 PM in response to OctoberCountry

I also have this question.

I tried to revert back to a previous version of iTunes, but still couldn't get it to work, reset my iPod touch, still no go.

Then thought that it may have been related to the recent iTunes update that was designed for the new operating system, so figured why not jump in and try El Capitan, still nothing.

On a different note, now after resetting the iPod, I can't get it to connect to iTunes even if I'm connected to wifi.

I'm thinking I'm just going to go visit an Apple Store pretty soon to hopefully get this all resolved.

iPod Touch (2nd gen) gives "invalid response" to iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.