Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

recover lost backups

I recently restored my mac running El Capitan using time machine. I forgot that I had a bunch of important documents on the hard drive that I had not saved elsewhere (i.e. I had no backup of them). After the restoration, I realized that they were gone. Is there any way of retrieving them from some system sub folder of time machine or something or are they completely gone?

Posted on Oct 12, 2015 8:37 AM

2 replies

Oct 12, 2015 9:41 AM in response to lllaass

I'm sorry if I wasn't entirely clear, I did do several TM backups prior to this that all have the documents on them. However, once you restore the HD to a previous version, it deletes all subsequent backups (or they don't appear anymore at least). I was wondering if there was someway to view these missing backups between the version I backed up to and the most recent. There are about 3 backups between the version I choose and the most recent one I had, none of which are now available for me to view or restore back to. When you restore are they moved to some other folder or simply deleted, and is there a way to restore them if they are?

recover lost backups

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.