Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

deleting all unused media in a Library

Is there a way to delete all the unused media in projects within a a library (rather than just the individual projects) to save space? I know you can select a project and see all of the unused clips in each one, but when you select the next project the clips used in the last one disappear. This should surely be simple to do, but cannot see how to do it.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.2), 64gb ram, 12 core

Posted on Oct 12, 2015 8:19 AM

8 replies

Oct 12, 2015 9:24 AM in response to PSCAlan

You can select a library and filter by unused clips. But if you've used any part of the clip in a project, it will appear as "unused".

The main opportunity to save space is in deleting computer-generated files that can easily be recreated if necessary. Those files include render files (which can grow to be extremely large, optimized and proxy media). You can do this from the File menu and typically will save more space than selectively deleting the original media.

Russ

Oct 12, 2015 11:01 AM in response to Russ H

unfortunately most of the clips I import I use parts of them only, so it sounds like I would be deleting clips I have part used if I use this method? I already delete the generated optimised, proxy and render files. Just looking for a way to grab some extra drive space. I make around 20 motorsport programmes a year and I am always generating b roll that we don't use or really need.

Oct 12, 2015 11:52 AM in response to Russ H

According to http://help.apple.com/finalcutpro/mac/10.2/#/ver65764b45 the "unused" filter "Shows only the clips or range selections that are not used in a project, a compound clip, a multicam clip, or a synchronized clip." As you point out, all clips that have not been used in their entirety appear but contrary to Apple help the unused ranges are not shown (no orange bars). This option was only introduced in 10.2 but doesn't seem yet to work as intended and is useless as it is.

Geoff.

Oct 12, 2015 12:48 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

I was just making an observation that unused ranges aren't shown despite what the help file says. If it did it I would expect it to do so with orange bars in just the same way as used ranges are shown in other filter options. I agree entirely that deleting completely unused clips to save space is not worthwhile and realise that deleting parts of clips is not possible.

Oct 12, 2015 12:58 PM in response to GeeD

Unsued clips and range show just that. You only see unused material. The unused ranges filter is a completely separate function from the view function that shows used ranges and displays an orange bar. If you have the browser set to all clips, you will see the clips with the used ranges with the orange bar. In the unused filter you only see unused frames, nothing else, so no orange bars.

deleting all unused media in a Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.